What's Happened to Good English??

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: What's Happened to Good English??

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 pm

You mean ...bee worned. Shelley. ;)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Indeed Neville ... silly me ;)

High heals - I wasn't sure whether this was an advert for the health benefits of mountain climbing or the medicinal efficacy of hallucinogenic substances ... but either way, it requires repetitious danger alerts :lol:
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 am

I caint cee wot you lot is talking abot .

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Shudderably ineffecient use of the English language isn't it? And the annoying thing is that we as taxpayers via the Australian Government have spent squillions of $'s educating these numpties. I want a refund. How the bloody hell do they expect to get jobs when they can't even spell, although as my son pointed out to me - The bosses these days can't spell either so they probably think it is fine.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Terry you could have been talking about the grog cabinet :lol: :lol: I guess an apostrophe would still have been required though :?

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I am old enough to remember when the ratbags started altering our education system and "dumbing" it down, much to my generation's horror. We were assured that our opinions on spelling, grammar and school discipline were out of date and wrong. Since then we have gone through numerous inquiries, alterations and adjustments, spending a fortune along the way to end up in our current situation where people leaving school are almost illiterate and have poor education standards.
We have never spent so much money, schools have never had so much equipment, class sizes have never been smaller and we are producing ill educated students!
I am with Maureen, I want a refund and an apology.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:24 pm

My son is convinced that America and now Australia are in fact deliberately 'dumbing down' their population for their own nefarious reasons. I think they have succeeded - every day the errors seen appear to escalate. This one I just spotted on my local garage sale site - a cupboard that does not suit my daycore any more -Aaaaaargh :evil:

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 am

Maureen recently read a book entitled Deer Hunting With Jesus which explores the question of the dumbing down of the American population most convincingly. I was sceptical when I began reading the book as it is a little to the "left" of my political viewpoint, but quickly became interested in what the author had to say. The book is about the poorer workers in America and reveals just how they are manipulated and exploited basically because they are too uneducated and dumb to understand what is being done to them and poses the question as to whether this section of the population has been intentionally denied sufficient education to defend themselves.
I thoroughly recommend the book which also has a humorous side as well.
Last edited by Vic Jefferies on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 am

Maureen K Clifford wrote:daycore
You have to admit that one is funny Maureen. :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:32 pm

I like to watch that TV quiz show called The Chase. The quiz is on general knowledge. The contestants start by saying their name and age and occupation. It is a firm pattern that contestants over 50 years of age usually do well, contestants under 30 years of age almost always fail very early in the show.
Experience takes time, there is no way round it. The "educators" didn't realize that the best education is to teach people how to learn. And experience is as useful an education as information.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.