National Disaster

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Vic Jefferies

National Disaster

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 am

Just back from a five thousand kilometer car trip through north western New South Wales and north western Queensland.
Amazing journey that reminded us just how big and varied this country is.
The effect of the drought on the landscape is heartbreaking to see and our hearts went out to all of the poor people and animals who are suffering so much.
North western Queensland in particular, from St George through to Longreach; Winton and on to Hughenden and now even Charters Towers are in a perilous situation which even with rain will take years to overcome.
People are selling their homes and businesses, farms and properties and moving out. There is precious little work and daily the situation grows worse.
It is sad that we who live in the cities and on the coast don't know more about the national disaster that is occurring right now!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: National Disaster

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:46 am

People don't realize how badly that area has suffered - 80% of Queensland is still drought declared and some of these properties haven't had decent rain in over 3 years - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-13/q ... nt/6467438
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:54 am

Clouds over head today in Charters Towers -- we are hopeful.
BJ and Hal
Sing HU to open your heart.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:18 pm

G'day Vic, my son and I did a quick trip from Alice to Yeppoon and back two Years ago now, and the country looked pretty sad even back then, in fact I saw some camels that barely had a hump, that is a sign of a hungry animal! I know what your talking about mate, sad isn't it.
Ross