Dorothea Mackellar Poetry Competition

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Vic Jefferies

Dorothea Mackellar Poetry Competition

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Just read in the local paper that the Dorothea MacKellar Poetry Competition attracted more than 8,500 entries from more than 600 schools! Something is happening at last.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Dorothea Mackellar Poetry Competition

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 pm

That's great isn't it - The Ipswich Poetry Feast this year also attracted more entries I believe from kids than from Adults. So as you say - something is happening
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I have a feeling that that competition attracted a lot of entries last year too Vic. I recall reading some of them and there was some great talent there.

Heather :)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

... yep!! Just under 400 performances at the Junior Swaggies in Winton last week ... :) :D :D :D

(UP 100 from last year)

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Today I returned to my former workplace to farewell a long-time colleague. While I was there one of the men told me last night his 10 year old son said "Come out on the verandah Dad, I've got something I want to show you." So they did, and the boy proceeded to recite The Man From Ironbark word perfect - and apparently full of expression and different voices. He'd been learning it on his own because he simply loves poetry (fostered by his parents, of course!)

This is the same kid I told you about last year, Mannie - who recited at the breakfast table a poem he'd written the night before (he was 9 then). I've heard the poem and it is excellent - with correct understanding of rhyme and metre. I also have a copy of an essay he has written about the Eureka Stockade and it's outstanding for his age.

So it looks like the future of Aussie Bush Poetry is safe - if we can perpetuate the passion of kids who are showing an interest.

Cheers, Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:45 pm

it always was. Us young fellas will keep the tradition going.

Bobbie
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 am

G'day Vic and everyone,

Great to see this happening. I am the co-ordinator of the written poetry at the Kangaroo Valley Folk Festival and I have emailed the information and reminders to all the schools, junior and senior, the area. I have been contacted by one principal, of the fourteen, who is enthusiastic and will be following up with entries. It only takes one teacher to pass on the baton. Makes the whole thing worthwhile.
Zondrae King
a woman of words