Rhyming

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Rhyming

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 pm

I was standing at the Railway yesterday and I overheard a man say to a lady " It's not your fault " fault " pronounced as "folt"
I always say "fault" pronounced " fawlt) as in fawlty towers.

Now rhyming pedants, what do you reckon rhymes with....fault, salt, malt and halt.

Does assault and default rhyme.

Are these all rhyming; as in
fault ( fawlt) assault ( assawlt ) malt ( mawlt ) salt ( sawlt ) cobalt ( cobawlt ) halt ( hawlt ) default ( defawlt )

or all rhyme; as in folt, assolt, molt, solt, cobolt. holt, defolt

Or...are some awlt and some olt and don't make perfect rhymes???
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David Campbell

Re: Rhyming

Post by David Campbell » Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm

I always say "folt", Neville, but accept the other pronunciation. Could be geographical. Similar to the discussion we had last year about what rhymes with "because".

Cheers
David

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Would you believe Rhymezone Dictionary gives Renault as a rhyme for fault. Only in America!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu May 29, 2014 6:24 pm

And so it should. And the Yanks have a place called Calais which they say as Callus. Works for me :lol:
Neville

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 pm

I think folks need to think outside the square.
Rhyming can be far more fun AND adventurous ...
The way you approach your rhyming can open up many more possibilities in the structure of stanzas and emphasis of the story.

Here, try these on for size ...
... and if you're fixated on what the 'judges' may think ...
it's time to move on.
Mature rhyming poetry isn't for you ... :D

Colonials
stoney yells

pyramid
clear amid

paraphernalia
outback Australia

Roman metropolis
old Heliopolis

distributing
this tribute in

mandolin
handlin'

centuries
adventure; is

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 am

Actually Manfred, :) I think that words like fault and bolt are easily used as rhymes however they are said, they are close enough, as one famous artist said " exactitude is not truth " .

As for your examples, ( paraphernalia, outback Australia etc ) I think there are some forced rhymes there, and I think forced rhymes are really mainly useful for comedy , in my opinion they can sound silly in serious stuff.
Neville

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 am

That's what I said..sort of. :geek:
Neville

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri May 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Neville Briggs wrote:As for your examples, ( paraphernalia, outback Australia etc ) I think there are some forced rhymes there, and I think forced rhymes are really mainly useful for comedy , in my opinion they can sound silly in serious stuff.
Every time you write to move the text to a predetermined word in a sequence, the line is 'forced' - and so is the rhyme!

In fact let me be so bold as to say that EVERY end-rhyme is 'forced'!

In fact the majority of our poetry is forced because it is driven by the rhyme (and metre), not by grammar. That's why it becomes predictable, boring and, as some folks would say, quaint ("Look, it rhymes"). And, unfortunately WE have become boring because we persist in a pattern of seven metrical feet! MOST bush poetry AND bush ballads are in "seven metrical feet". With slight variations from iambic and anapaest to mixed and a camouflaged seven in the guise of a four-three (still seven).

Boring, boring, boring

Where is our creativity???

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri May 30, 2014 1:26 pm

If most of the practice of the bush poetry has been formed by the competition circuit ( I suspect it has ) and if it is dully predictable ( as you seem to suggest ) then the answer is, we must have poetry judges who are not connected with the ABPA or the bush poetry circle.
For example winners chosen by audience vote.

Or.......we could put on bush poetry (like the upcoming North Pine poetry fest) which has information and demonstration input from qualified people not connected with the ABPA or who have not been winners of bush poetry comps.

The only way to blow a fresh wind through the place. :o :P
Neville

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Ah there's a problem..

Even before I had heard of 'Bush Poetry' or the ABPA I used to catch myself thinking in rhyme. Not always, but from time to time. Once I 'found' bush poetry I gave a deep sigh "..aaaaarrrhhh." I am not the only one who thinks in rhyme occasionally... and here is a chance to write it down!

Don't tell me it is unnatural. I can't believe that.
Zondrae King
a woman of words