THE COPPER CROC RESULTS

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
Glenny Palmer

THE COPPER CROC RESULTS

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat May 03, 2014 12:30 am

THE COPPER CROC POETRY AWARDS 2014

RESULTS:

WINNER: CAROL HEUCHAN (Cooranbong NSW)….“Droving Miss Daisy”

2nd Place: Yvonne Harper (Cooper’s Shoot NSW)… “Bush Bred and Banjo”

3rd Place: Shelley Hansen (Maryborough QLD) “The Jumbuck Drama Club”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VHC: David Campbell (Beaumaris VIC)…… “Guilt”

Robyn Sykes (Binalong NSW)….. “Eureka Yields to Bingo”

Brenda Joy (Charters Towers QLD) “The Saga of a Flaming Log”
and “ My Alpine World”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HC: Mal Beveridge (Bracken Ridge QLD)..“The Lady of the Grand”

Terry Piggott (Canning Vale WA)… “The Lure of Gold”

Val Wallace (Glendale NSW) …….. “God’s Waiting Room”

Commended:
Zondrae King (East Corrimal NSW)“The Bunyip in the Billabong”

Tom McIlveen (Port Macquarie NSW)… “Jimmy”

Leonie Parker (Brassall QLD)……… “What Mrs Brown Saw”

Will Moody (Bellingen NSW).. “The Last Tasmanian”

WILD and WONDERFUL AUSTRALIA

WINNER: Ann Hobson (Theodore Qld)…….. “Cuckoo Clock”

JUDGE’S REPORT:

There were 90 entries in this year’s awards, which is sterling support for just the second year of any competition. I thank you all for that support, and for the pleasure of reading your fine poetry. I congratulate the awardees, and encourage all others to stay persistent until you ultimately succeed, as many of the poems could well do, in other competitions. The standard of entries was generally high, with a broad range of subject matter, which didn’t make it any easier for me to make the final choices.

Our winner, Carol Heuchan, may have to expand her backyard swamp, as she now has two crocs to accommodate. Hearty congratulations go to Carol for scooping the pool for 2 years running. While I saw several very minor glitches in her poem, “Droving Miss Daisy” I decided that the very clever, sustained quality of her entertaining poem was sufficient to over ride those minor concerns. Well done Carol! She must be off ‘poet-ing’ somewhere as I could not contact her, so I will seek her permission to post her winning poem when she re-surfaces.

Yvonne Harper’s fine poem about the current regrettable attitude to our Waler horses, is finely crafted and topical, and a very close second placegetter.

Shelley Hansen has written a sensitive and nostalgic poem about re-visiting our earlier times in Australia, to gain a third placing.

It is always a delight to discover who has, in my eyes, qualified for the awards, and I saw fit to allocate 10 minor certificates. I am pleased (and relieved) to see our accomplished poets in that group. Well done indeed to all.

Now…to The Wild and Wonderful Australia section.
All entrants will doubtless recognise the winner’s name, Ann Hobson, as she is my Administrator for the comp. I had no idea that she had entered, and upon discovering who had written the poem that I had chosen as the winner, I could not stop laughing. Ann is totally instrumental in securing the prize of two lovely collector camping mugs from The Upper Dawson Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland, of which she is a most active member. Ann’s poem, “Cuckoo Clock” is a very humorous work on the trials of crows raising an interloper, and I thought, a unique approach to the W&WA theme. Well deserved Congratulations Ann.

I thank you all again, and will post Ann’s poem, and Carol’s, asap under ‘User’s Poetry’ on the ABPA website.

Glenny Palmer
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Zondrae

Re: THE COPPER CROC RESULTS

Post by Zondrae » Sat May 03, 2014 8:18 am

Congratulations to all the place getters.

Well done Carol, you keep coming up with the goods. I salute your fine imagination and your skill with words.
I look forward to the long weekend in June and caching up at 'The Peak' festival in the snow.

My poem 'The Bunyip InThe Billabong' is a brand new work. At last I am writing something new. Thanks Glenny for all the efforts you go to to promote the writing of Australian Poetry. Now if we only get this type of response to the third 'Kembla Flame' I will be doubly happy.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Sat May 03, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks Glenny for initiating and running the comp in Croc's honour and for letting us know the results. 90 is a good number and hopefully that will increase next year. Congratulations to all the winners.
BJ
Sing HU to open your heart.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat May 03, 2014 10:38 am

Dear Zondrae. I was delighted to discover your name on the list. Now I'm even more delighted to find that it's a new work and that...you are writing again! Well done indeed. Good luck with your Kembla Flame too.
xx Glenny

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat May 03, 2014 10:52 am

Hellooo Brenda. Thank you love, for your kind words and for supporting the comp. THAT's what makes them succeed. I got to bed around 2 am as I was determined to get the reults on site in good time. With all the work you do for our poets you will doubtless know how that feels. LOL. Congratulations on your awards. Your poems are always a delight to read. Well done, again.
xx Glenny

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Well done & congratulations to all winners, commendeds & special award, I'll pip yous all one day...LOL!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun May 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Congrats to everyone - sounds like you gave the Judge a hard time :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon May 05, 2014 2:22 pm

TO :o ONE AND ALL :roll: A hearty three cheers for all the work you have put in GLENNY in running the CROC award

three cheers now every one bugger it my voice has gone bung OH well :lol:

BILL THE OLD BATTLER

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Mon May 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Hahaaa! Bill. Goodonyamate. Thanks Maureen & David (you are flying too high now to catch! Keep on keepin on...)

:D Glenny

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat May 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Dear Glenny - hearty congratulations on a successful competition. A fine reward for your hard work! Congratulations too, to all winners of prizes and certificates. I am truly honoured to be named among you. Best Regards, Shelley Hansen.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")