Kilmore bushfire

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Kilmore bushfire

Post by Heather » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm posting this message because I've had a few people enquire about my safety in regards to the Kilmore bushfire. I am quite safe here and my only inconvenience at the moment is that the air is full of smoke and many roads are blocked. Two of my daughters are in Kilmore but are safe. They have both been volunteering at the CFA control centre in Kilmore making sandwiches and running messages. :)

The fire has come very close to Kilmore, Wallan and Darraweit Guim and residents of those parts of towns were evacuated - some twice. The other place names you may see are the names of parishes (not towns) and are all farming areas. It is very difficult to get good up to date information other than "fast moving grassfire moving in northerly direction" which is not terribly helpful when you don't know where the front is. The fire is currently heading towards the small town of Pyalong and is West and NW of me with a huge flank. I do not want a westerly.

It would appear that many homes have been lost and stock losses seem to be high. My brother's in-laws have lost their home between Wallan and Darraweit Guim. Other friends came close or have lost fences etc but are all safe.

Just sitting tight and hoping the wind doesn't pick up but be assured that my plan is to leave early if conditions worsen or new fires start. Holding my breath for summer to end.

Thanks to those who have asked after me.

Heather :)

Glenny Palmer

Re: Kilmore bushfire

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Glad to receive this update Heather. Stay safe at all costs love. BTW that is a gorrgeous pic of you! It's a wonder Mr Pacey hasn't gushed about it yet.............he's probably hypnotised by it? :lol:
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks Glenny :) I have no intention of trying to fight a fire on my own - I'm good, but I'm not that good! :) I left home Sunday for the safety of town because the conditions were so bad and lots of people were worried about me. That way they didn't have to worry. Was sitting at my daughter's place when the wind change came and we had ash fall on us...

....... and he has :lol:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Can not help it if I appreciate beauty Glenny .

and yes I reckon it is a beauty ;) ;)

Stay safe H

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Heather ... (((Hugs)))

M.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 pm

God Bless him. He really is a treasure. :D
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Stay safe and look after the cows if you still have them and the little 4 legged bloke as well - thinking of you xxx
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks y'll. No wind at the moment so that should help the fire fighters get on top of things. It is a huge fire.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:41 am

Good to hear from you Heather and lets all pray for a good drenching to ease those wonderful CFF's efforts.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:52 am

It's been good for my two girls - both at that age where the world revolves around them and the world definitely owes the younger one a living - groan. They've been volunteering at the Kilmore fire station which is the control centre for the fire. The older of the two was overwhelmed by the dedication of the fire fighters who came back from the front head to toe in soot and were grateful to her for a cuppa and sandwich and then headed back out to it. She's now saying she will join the CFA. Not sure how that will go since she panicked at the sight of smoke, :) but it has instilled a sense of giving and community in her which is all good..