Judges Comments

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: Judges Comments

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 am

Why do we assume that language needs to be somehow logical or always have strict placement of elements to be effective as language. Mathematics might be like that, language isn't like that. We ought to be aware that English is horribly illogical and slippery at times.
And poetry is about language.

Our friend who objects to the thunder preceding the lightning also says that " the new moon does NOT rise in the evening ". In actual fact, the moon does not " rise " at all. As the earth turns on its axis, the moon comes into view.

I think it would help the quality of the bush poetry competitions if we could be confident that the judges understood the difference between what is literal and what is literary.

I think it was Ezra Pound who said of language and literature." Accuracy is not truth "
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am

How about a poem dedicated to each of the judges? Would make a nice little collection.

I'm thinking of Dennis' book of bird poems, which he called 'The Singing Gardens'. Have to give some thought to a title...
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 am

For what it's worth, Marty, my likes and dislikes are clearly set out in what I wrote under the 'Tips' section of this website. (Although I reserve the right to change my mind!) I agree with Glenny's poetry-related comments too, and will now be carefully researching the checkout BLOKES at my local supermarket.

As to other judges' preferences, I have some ideas that have been built up over the years, but have no intention of airing them in public because, unless they have explicitly stated their views, much of it is just guesswork. The most useful source of info is the general comments judges publish after a competition...usually they will make clear what they were looking for in the winning entries. Sometimes judges will make specific comments on your entry and, like you, I have often been perplexed by what they've said. But maybe the fault lies with the poem, so there's a potential lesson there. Remember that your entry is just one among many (perhaps hundreds), so the judge has to make fairly rapid decisions about quality. That's why my constant advice is to pay careful attention to the basics, particularly metre, as that helps the judge to see straight away that you know what you're doing.

As to who is judging what and when, that's pretty much up to the competition organisers. Some will identify the judge(s) in advance, some won't. Some don't even do so when the results are announced.

The best way to find out what's going on is to enter competitions regularly and make your own assessment. But even then, you're only playing a hunch most of the time, and it could easily backfire. If you want to follow the competition trail then write as well as you can, read the rules carefully, submit regularly, learn from judges' comments, try not to get too disappointed/frustrated when you fail...and persevere.

Cheers
David

PS: Can we please note the correct spelling of the word 'precede'!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 am

David Campbell wrote:S: Can we please note the correct spelling of the word 'precede'!
Noted and corrected. :o
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 am

Sounds like David won't be writing that book, then!
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Be like me, I just enter and hope for the best.

I only enter a handful of comps each year; I seem to do better in some comps than others. Whether it's because it's the same judge each year I don't know, or care that much.

I think it's great that different judges like different things - gives everybody a chance I reckon.

Cheers Terry