Judges of the Secret Court

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Judges of the Secret Court

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I saw a comment on here about the Ipswich poetry competition in which the judge, after the event was concluded, was referred to as Manfred X.
Not only am I a puzzled about why anyone should want to be apparently coy about naming a bush poetry judge after the event ( after all , it's obvious who is being referred to) but I am also puzzled as to why the names of judges are not known when the entries are called for.

We have strict rules about anonymity for the entries as they are being judged. Why on earth must the judge be unknown ?
There are several poetry competitions around Australia, where I have seen the name of the judge or judges given on the entry form. ( e.g. Blake Prize for Poety )
Why not, where's the problem ?

The only objection might be, that people could write work that they are sure will appeal to a particular person. I think that is a poor argument. That argument is a slur on the integrity of our poetry judges, surely. And as well as that, who could possibly tell what judges find appealing on the day ? And I note that the judges in performance comps are known beforehand !

I think that we should consider publishing beforehand, the names of judges in written bush poetry competitions. Anonymous judges seems a secret squirrel thing that smacks of distrust and I think, puts a bit of a wet blanket on the enjoyment of vying in competitions.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Re: Judges of the Secret Court

Post by keats » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I would then write specifically to what I knew that judge liked in the way of Bush Poetry. Then again I don't enter any more, so it doesn't directly affect me. I'm for anonymity.

Neil

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

It wouldn't worry me Neville, we already know who is judging some comps. Anyway trying to second guess a judge sounds pretty dicy to me.
I reckon you just take your chances with whatever poems you have.

Cheers Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:14 pm

But Neil, I think you are stating the very thing that I really doubt is possible. Are our judges so narrow minded that they only award their favourite thing. Surely not.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Neville, everybody has a leaning towards what they perceive as 'proper' Bush Poetry. It is not narrow mindedness by any means. In a perfect world we would have an unlimited pool of completely impartial judges who would offer their services for free, for the love of the art. We do not. As simple as that. If you have a faultless solution, then please share and we can utilise it.

Cheers

Neil

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 am

You can find the judges reports to the Ipswich Poetry Festival here ... http://www.ipswichpoetryfeast.com.au/20 ... report.htm

There are some poets who like to use the 'shotgun' approach and blast a whole swag of poems at a competition. Those authors are relatively easy to spot. I know some poets like to gear their pieces to the respective competition judge. However, I wonder how (or what) I would need to submit to a comp that you knew Glenny Palmer or David Campbell were judging? Conversely, what would you need to write to get my attention?

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:38 am

...."I'll shout the Vodka if I win"?.... :roll:
Ross

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:21 am

No worries Rosco, just don't tell the others .... :lol:

william williams

Post by william williams » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 am

would a bottle of SLIVERVITCH do the trick

the old battler

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:55 am

I don't know what other poets feel but I think if there were to be a uniformity for submissions it would really help to prevent judgements based on layout.
For example, from feedback comments (and this does not apply to all judges but to some) some judges penalize for beginning lines with a capital letter others for not beginning lines with a capital letter. Some judges prefer poems to be centered on a page, others penalize for this, some judges prefer double lined spacing others prefer single line spacing, etc..

If there were set ABPA guidelines for submission re these non-poetic issues and if everyone had to use the same type-face, it would overcome this and also ensure the absolute anonymity of poets.
Brenda
Sing HU to open your heart.