Doing My Bit

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
mummsie

Doing My Bit

Post by mummsie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 pm

My brother in law, Brian, is a co-ordinator with the after school care pragramme in Garran, ACT. Recently he was telling me how he's re-ignited his love of Bush Poetry, sharing with me memories of when, as a small boy,his father would often comfort him after a fall or injury by sitting him on his knee and reciting poems such as "The Bush Christening" or "Mulga Bills Bicycle" to name a few. With this passion renewed he has taken to reading Bush Poetry to the children in his care on a regular basis. Now, one thing he has assured me of is that not all of the children take delight in these readings, a few not hiding the fact that bush poetry holds no interest for them but, there are a few who have become avid listeners and surprisingly, these children had had none or very little exposure to bush poetry in the past.
It was during this conversation I was asked would I mind calling in and doing a recitation for the kids. :o I informed him that with some time to prepare I would be more than happy and with this in mind he sent out flyers to see who would be interested. He was stunned to receive twenty positive responses considering how many so-called "I'm not interested kids" there were in the group.
Well, today was the day. :D I kicked the afternoon off with a general chat with the kids about their understanding of poetry and was surprised with the feedback I received. What interested me was the interest the kids took when I explained how poetry was a great way of telling stories and showed them [the "Bush Christening' is a great exmple] that when a poem is performed with actions and voice changes how that "story" really comes to life. The change in their attitude really surprised me. The rest of the evening went without a hitch and after each recital the kids asked heaps of questions. Most of the poems I used were my own but I did include a couple of Paterson classics, two by Phillip Rush and I included Neils "Broccoli" from the last magazine, [hope you don't mind Neil] using this one as an example that poetry can be written about any subject including vegetables. The poems included "Yellow Ted" a poem a wrote for my grandaughter for her sixteenth birthday [an earlier version of this is posted in the childrens section] and I even took the said Teddy Bear along which brought many awwwwws from the audience and tales about their favorite teddy bears. My concern that some of my poetry may have been a little beyond their comprehension was put to rest after my recital of "Love You Daddy" This was my last poem of the day and I can assure you, those little faces assured me I was glad I'd included it on the programme and again, lots of questions about the story line which assured me they were really listening.
The afternoon was concluded by the children presenting me with a lovely bunch of flowers, but the thing that excited me most was the interest the kids have shown in having a go at writing themselves. I now await the outcome and have informed them I would love to share [with their permission] their work on this site. Watch this space people :D :D :D
I feel great tonight :P :P
Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Peely

Re: Doing My Bit

Post by Peely » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Sounds like you had a great afternoon Sue

It is always a good thing when you can change people's minds about poetry. I have seen you grow as a performer and it sounds like you are well on your way to bigger and better things.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 am

Great stuff Sue, I find the smaller groups are better so that you can get up close and personnel, I did a presentation for about 500 at a high school assembly and you do seen to loose them in a sea of faces and get little time to interact.

Cheers And best wishes

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 am

That sounds terrific Sue. Great work !! :) :) I could be wrong but I think that after so much TV and electronic communication that some young people can discover that the old live performance is still the most engaging experience.

quote="mummsie"]concern that some of my poetry may have been a little beyond their comprehension[/quote] That's a good point. I think that about my audience all the time.
I think we need to have a bit of faith that our listeners and readers understand perhaps more than we realize, and we need to resist trying to explain too much. If we say it clearly, they will get it.

We haven't had much in the For Children & Youth section for a long time, maybe their work could be posted there.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 am

John, about eighteen months ago I watched you perform at our local festival "The Man From Snowy River" and I was spellbound by your performance. I vividly recall that day, it was my introduction to performance poetry and the day I realised what it was all about. Thank you.

Bob, you are so right. By the end of the session I knew a few of the kids names, but what I wont forget is the looks on those tiny faces.
I took a leaf from your book Bob and gave out my old copies of the ABPA mags, and the two Phillip Rush books I had were given as prizes. Some of the feedback blew me away, these kids were tuned in, including one little girl whose age I guessed to be around 10 informing me "what I loved about your poetry was it wasn't all contrived- I prefer uncontrived poetry". Thats a pretty mature statement from one so young.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks Neville, it certainly was a fun afternoon[beats going to the supermarket and hearing 'Little drummer Boy"]
The kids really enjoyed chatting about the poems afterwoods, one even informed me how his Teddy ended up in the bin after he'd vomited on it!!Kids- no secrets and honest-I love that.

Cheers
Sue

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 am

good on you Sue keep it up

Bill williams

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 am

Good on you Sue. It sounds great and I'd loved to have been there to see it. I used to do talks/tours for primary school kids in a pioneer cottage in Broadford and the things they come out with are so funny. They found it unbelievable that there was no electricity - and all the things you couldn't have because of that. I remember one thinking that a meat safe was a bird cage; I've never forgotten that. Primary school kids are soaking up information and it's the time when what they see, hear and learn can have a lasting influence on their lives.

Heather :)

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you Bill and Heather.
Yes Heather, at this age kids minds are like sponges, soaking up everything and just like sponges when you squeeze them, you never know whats gonna come out!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Sue

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Just had a phone call from Brian.
I am sooooo excited- one of the children who attended the poetry afternoon has presented to after school care today with a poem she has written. I spoke to her on the phone and after hearing her poem I can't wait to share it with you. As soon as the email arrives I will post it. This has made my day :D :D

Cheers
Sue