Lost Poet needs help..........

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
LongMan

Lost Poet needs help..........

Post by LongMan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

G'day All,

My name is Phil and I'm an Aussie living here in California USA. Some days I wish I was back home watching the Cricket with a smooth red. Right now, I'm just get'n over some health issues. To deal with it I write poetry as a hobby. As a poet I'm kinda lame so I'm told. I need to read more Shakespeare, Milton, Tennyson and William Wordsworth, to really understand and have an idea how to write poetry. The people that wrote that said I will only improve by making my work similar to those.... I asked them did they know Stewart, Lawson and Paterson........they said who are they? So I rest my case. I figured it was going to be an up hill task to get them to see how I was writing. So I left.

SO, I was wondering if there is anyone out there that I could chat with for some useful tips on my poetry.........

PHIL

Terry

Re: Lost Poet needs help..........

Post by Terry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 pm

G/day Plil, long way from home mate.

Plenty of contacts to chat with here.

Suggest you post a poem or two and if you want some comments just ask.

There is also a homework forum here where you can hone your skills if you're so inclined.

You have come to the right place if you're interested in the type of poetry written by Lawson, Patterson and co,
most of us try to write in a similar style.

Regards,

Terry

warooa

Post by warooa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 pm

LongMan wrote: Some days I wish I was back home watching the Cricket with a smooth red.
me too mate . . . but I prefer blondes to rangas :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Phil . . lot's of banter and tips and friendly advise when asked for.

Cheers, Marty (the one of two on here - I'm tropical - the other one's sub-zero) ;)

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Welcome aboard Phil. :)
You have taken the first steps on an exciting journey. I cannot speak highly enough of the people here that have helped me on my journey of becoming a better writer and performer.
There is always someone here to offer advice and set you on the right track and the friendships you'll make along the way are immeasureable. What you do with that advice is entirely up to you, but believe me, you are in for one exciting ride.
Post some of your work, we've all taken that first step.
I look forward to sharing the journey with you Phil.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Forget about both of those blokes Phil if you really want to know what is going on ( Ask any of the ladies )

Ya thought I was gonna say me hey ?

Plenty of advice will be offered Phil but as we say it is yours to loose or use as you see fit.

Look forward to your first posting.

Cheers mate.

Bobbo
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Irene

Post by Irene » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 pm

HI Phil
Welcome to the forum.
A good place to start if you are looking to write with rhyme and rhythm (which is what is promoted on this site) is with the tutorials on the main poetry page - http://www.abpa.org.au or go to the icon on the top left corner of the page, and click on the link next to it.
They give you great basics to start with - and are written by four of the top bush poets in Australia.
Post a poem or two, and ask for comments - there is no shortage of people to offer good advice. Glenny Palmer is always a great help to new poets - she will often offer you advice through a private message if you ask, though she also will do so on the forum site. She has been performing and running workshops for years.

Look forward to reading some of your work
Catchya
IRene
What goes around, comes around.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Welcome Phil. Start with the tutorials as Irene suggested. I learnt a heap of useful things on this site and it is how I got started writing. Posting your first -poem can be very scary but remember we all had to do it at some point and we all learn from it.

Look forward to hearing more from you Phil..
Heather :)

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Welcome Phil. A Lawson fan is always welcome.
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.