Vivian Sawyer

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Zondrae

Vivian Sawyer

Post by Zondrae » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 am

G'day all,

I have just been informed from a reliable source that Vivian Sawyer, who has been the matriarch of the Wollongong and surrounds poetry scene, has passed away yesterday. She had been experiencing poor health over the past years but managed to carry on writing and performing until about a year ago. She was an exceptional humorist and writer of Limericks and also bush yarn spinner. Vivian was winner of both the Yarn Spinner and Reciter award at the National Folk Festival and had so many wins at the Mt Kembla Festival that she was made a judge to give others a chance. I had the pleasure on many occasions to share the stage with Vivian and learned a lot from watching her professional delivery and her devilish wit.

Having inherited her interest in poetry from her mother, Vivian had written several books. She was never one to self promote and spent much effort in preserving her mothers work. She will be sadly missed at the Illawarra Folk Festival and many other stages where she was a regular performer.

Funeral arrangements are yet to be finalised.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Re: Vivian Sawyer

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Thank you Zondrae for so eloquently informing us of the sad loss of Viv Sawyer. We first met Viv in 2000 when we attended our first folk festival and quickly came to love her and her wonderful and unique wit. She was a real "trooper" and a wonderful person. With the passing of Viv we have lost not only a very funny and talented lady but also a much admired friend.

Vic Jefferies

Zondrae

Re: Vivian Sawyer

Post by Zondrae » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 pm

G'day Vic,

Her funeral is next Tuesday at Albion Park, Catholic Church. 10.00 am
I will make a super effort to get there.
Zondrae King
a woman of words