is there a programme for canberra national folk festival???

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
tom mcilveen

is there a programme for canberra national folk festival???

Post by tom mcilveen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 am

tried to google it but could not come up with a programme of what poetry is on ..?? is it worth going to ? can any one fill me in on what events they have there...i wouldn't go all that way for the country music..but if there is a good portion of tradiitional poetry it may be worth the trip..
tom mcilveen

Stephen Whiteside

Re: is there a programme for canberra national folk festiva

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi there, Tom. Have you been to the National before?

I had a look at the web-site myself recently, and managed to find the programme, but it is a bit of a fiddle.

Sadly, the Spoken Word Co-ordinator for this year's festival, Pete Griffith, died suddenly late last year, which was a real shock. He took over the job from me. I saw him at Maldon in November and he was in fine spirits, so I don't know what went wrong.

Fortunately, I'm told he had the program already in place.

There is a large Poets' Breakfast every morning - MCs include Vic Jeffries, Jim Brown and Phil Rush. These events are always extremely well attended, and a prize is awarded at the end of the festival for best performance.

There will also be other shows and workshops during the course of the festival. Phil is conducting a publishing workshop, which will be excellent. He is easily Australia's most successful self-published poet. Jim Brown is doing a solo show, and he is always good value.

Then there is the Great Poetry Debate, which is also fantastic.

So, yes, I am sure it will be well worth attending...and we'll be looking for a Spoken Word Co-ordinator for next years' festival, so perhaps you'd like to throw your hat into the ring?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm

I should have mentioned there is also a Yarn-Spinning Comp. I think Zondrae judged it last year, as she was the winner the year before...and Pete Griffith had won it before that.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Peter Mace

Post by Peter Mace » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Tom,

This should get you to the program.

http://www.folkfestival.org.au/wp-conte ... rogram.pdf

I will be doing the Monday Poets Breakfast and all the poets do a 2hour stint in workshop 5 i think.

I will have my van on site.