words that annoy

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: words that annoy

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

So how do you blokes and sheilas feel about 'lovey' :lol: :lol: :lol: as in 'How ya goin' lovey' or 'right oh lovey I'm onto it' or even 'Lovey if you don't shut your trap I'll have to bait it' ;)
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Maureen that makes me laugh. Last night when I was working at the pub, the young girl I work with (she's 18) went behind the bar and when I approached she said, "What can I get ya darl?" The lingo goes with the job! :) ;) We both had a laugh.

Heather :)

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm sorry. I'm just not myself today. (As I recall...dimly..it used to be nice being 'myself'....just haveta try to get back to there.) I didn't mean any offence.
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Glenny , not yourself.....reminds me of another Goon joke,

Spike Milligan says "' Me eyes are not what they used to be "........ " No, they used to be me ears "

or the other one

Neddy says " I'm not just any idiot you know "
Spike says " Really? which one are you, then "

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Talking about rednecks .... Know your redneck word of the day ...

Diesel fitter:
A bloke walks into Kmart picks up a pair of undies and says diesel fitter ... :lol:

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:58 pm

A decaf soy latté...in Laggan.... :o ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry :roll:
Neville

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Or the two Ronnies sketch where Ronnie Barker goes into the hardware store and asks for " Four candles "
" Four candles " says Ronny Corbett , he rummages around the shelf, finally finds four wax candles and puts them on the counter.
" Nah " says Ronnie Barker " Four candles "
" That's four candles " says Ronnie Corbett, a bit annoyed " One two, three, four "
' Naah" says Ronnie Barker " Fork 'andles, 'andles for forks "

:lol: :lol: ............well I thought it was funny :roll:
Neville

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Displacement, Manny. Isn't that what we did to the Aborigines? I don't see too many Aussie Aussie Aussies crying in their beers over that.

America? I've come across two examples recently of Australians buying Australian history books through Amazon. On at least one of these occasions there was no other option. America. Keeping Australians in touch with Australia. Thank God for America!

So what's so special about Australia, anyway? My feeling is that we are no better and no worse than any other country. The main thing we excel at is sport - though mostly obscure minor ones. The only 'big' sport we do OK at is swimming. That's partly a function of our large coast-line, and partly because our Western life-style gives us lots of swimming pools. There aren't many swimming pools in Africa. Our climate helps, too.

Isn't patriotism supposed to be the last resort of the scoundrel? It's OK in a mild dose for a bit of harmless fun, but once you start to take it seriously, problems begin. Wars, for one. Sure, it's fun to get tribal at times, but let's not go overboard.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Marty, most of our advantages and achievements as a nation stem from the fact that we were able to procure a large piece of fairly productive land with very little opposition. We managed to crush the locals and start afresh. That's an incredible advantage for any group of people trying t build a new nation - almost unparalleled in modern history. Everything needs to be viewed against this backdrop. When you take this into account, our achievements begin to look a lot more understandable.

The British do deserve credit for establishing a robust democracy here in such a short space of time, but they were pretty much just repeating what they had already done back home. They had a template that they knew worked. Once the locals were out of the way, it was always going to be pretty plain sailing - and so it has proved to be. The geographic isolation also helps us enormously to get on and do our own thing with minimal interference from other nations. I think we've done about as well as we could have been expected to do - no better and no worse - given the specific set of circumstances we faced.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Displacement? Yes Mate ... It's an irrevocable law that ALL continents are subject to. Here the Anglos displaced the Indiginees ... then us Wogs were displacing the Anglos. Now the Asians are displacing us Anglo/Euros. In Europe the Africans are on the move while across the Atlantic the Hispanics are displacing the rednecks in the Excited States.

Culture must be nurtured and passed on or it will die!

In the homeland of my Ancestors, Latvia, over the centuries the displacement has been from the North (Russia) and from the South (Germany). In spite of the turmoils, they have held the All-Latvian Song and Dance Festival EVERY five years since the late 1800s. That's National folk songs and folk dancing. The Soviets attempted to quell the Culture through 'displacement' after the invasion. Even during the annexation, the festival tradition was continued in exile. The next Festival will be held next year in 2013. Can you imagine a massed choir of 23,000 singing?
Here's a clip of only 10,00 singing in unison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baaX4-1_ ... re=related
Not bad for a Nation of three million people.

Our Indiginees have a good Culture and, as they are strengthened by their culture - they will prevail.

We have a uniqueness of character and spirit, greater than what's on display in any sporting arena - it's a good character.
We have a Culture of telling stories and events in rhyme and metre - it's a good Culture.

(well, that's what I think anyhow)