EVANS FRUIT CAKE

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

EVANS FRUIT CAKE

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:45 pm

As I was making this I realized that a lot of newer members wouldn't have the receipe and so being the kind hearted person I am I am sharing with you what was shared with me. This is a lovely cake easy to make - can even be made in a camp oven as long as you line it really well with brown paper and baking paper

Evan featured on our old site and this is Evans cake

Evan's fruit cake recipe.

4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee
Mix together with hot water
Add 600ml milk and shake

Mix in a little brandy, rum or whiskey if you wish

Place 1kg dried fruit in a mixing bowl and stir in the coffee and allow to rest overnight to absorb the coffee.
when you return to the mix you can add some nuts and two cups of SR flour.

combine and sift the dry ingredients into the bowl and give a good mix.

Pour into a baking dish lined with baking paper.

Preheat oven to 160 degrees.

Cook for 90 minutes in fan forced oven or 2 hours in conventional oven.
Test cake is cooked with a skewer

This quantity will fill a 9 inch square baking tin or spread it a little thinner into a shallow baking tray and cook it for not as long It is idiot proof - but make sure you line whatever you are cooking it in

Today I am experimenting a bit with it - so I mixed up 1 cup of Baileys and 1 cup of butterscotch schnapps (Christmas left overs) and made that up to 600 ml with the addition of strong black coffee and soaked the fruit in that for 8 hours

Then I sifted 2 extra teaspoons of instant coffee in with 2 1/2 cups of SR flour (an extra 1/2 cup) and added a small tub of vanilla yoghurt and mixed it well.

It tasted OK and is cooking now and smells yummy - it might need a little more cooking time so I am watching out for it

I have made this using a 600 ml carton of Iced Coffee and that works well also - you don't need to add any sugar into it if you do that and because of the Baileys I didn't add sugar to the experimental one either.

This reminded me of cooking at shearing time and using what I had in the cupboard - receipe books were thrown out the door.

I will let you know if it passes the taste test :lol: :lol: it goes over to Mums tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

mummsie

Re: EVANS FRUIT CAKE

Post by mummsie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Good one Maureen. I make a similiar one using cold tea instead of coffee. My mother called it "depression cake". I gather that name came from the time of the depression, when ingredients were scarce. It's a very moist cake that keeps for ages and tastes better the longer it's kept. Goes down well spread with butter, but I guess they didn't have much of that back then.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Bloody bewdiful :lol: :lol: :lol: and that's a thumbs up from me. It turned out fine and no extra cooking time needed

My Mum makes the one with cold tea Sue and it is always lovely and moist

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I"ve made Evan's fruit cake a couple of times and it is yummy - and that's from someone that isn't that keen on fruit cake. Easy to make and delicious.... highly recommended.

Heather :)

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm

...quite a few fruitcakes on here from my observation!... :roll:
Ross

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes poets,

I too have made this one with a carton of iced coffee. Lovely. I stand fruit and carton of milk coffee (mixed) in fridge overnight, add the flour & 1 tspn mixed spice. then bake as above. I don't waste grog, eggs, fat etc. It comes out lovely with just the three ingredients.

But my favourite Fruit cake. both low sugar and low fat is
1 pkt fruit
1 cup sr flour 1 cup P flour
1 tin sliced mangoes (drained before using) cut into about 1/2 inch bits. I save the juice in case I feel the mix is too dry. add a just a little if necessary.
1 teaspoon mixed spice.

I think that's about it. Cook in paper lined spring form tin
lowish oven, about 170c FF or 180c regular oven for about 1 hour or when it passes straw test

I was given this low fat recipe when I had Hep A in 1979 and had to have a fat free diet for three months.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 am

fruit+ milk+ flour+spice = 4 Zondrae :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I hadn't though of adding the spice that would make it really tasty, and the mango one sounds great....I will try that one.

Lots of fruitcakes here Ross you are so right. Some light, some dark, some rather dry, some perhaps past their use by date but well preserved :lol: :lol: , others rich and moist from having extra spirits poured over them after baking :roll: , some are perfect and would pass any CWA test whilst others are a bit lopsided with perhaps the fruit not evenly distributed but they still taste good.

Lots of similarities actually between fruitcakes and poets when you come to think about it. ;)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:07 am

Here's my fruit cake recipe !!!

Take five dollars, go down to the bakery, Pick out a nice one, Then buy it !!!!!

Problem solvered !!!

Robert.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:49 am

Bob it is quite clear that you have NEVER tasted Evan's fruit cake. They just don't compare! :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am

Heather I don't even know Evan and if he has anything to do with cooking i don't want to. ;) ;)

One lot of tv shows is about cooking and the other lot is about looseing weight. Boring

Bring on the football.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!