The Human Brain

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: The Human Brain

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Vic, your remark about brain as a lump of meat made me feel queazy !!
I thought of those little styrofoam trays in the butchers shop with lambs brains sitting there to be cooked a a delicacy. Revolting, I never touch the stuff.
In the case of sheep though, they probably never had a rational thought, so I suppose for that fancy such things for food, go for it. eeeeak.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Crumbed brains...used to be a regular in my house when I was growing up. We gave up eating them when we found out they were very high in cholesterol! Little difference from eating kidneys, lambs fry (liver) sweet meats, tripe or tongue! We never ate stuffed hearts but our neighbours did...
Ah, the good old days... a plate of offal if you please!
Beef sausages of course are made from...well we wont go into that because I believe they are on the menu for dinner.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Cruelly, my mother used to force us to eat lambs fry and steak and kidney pie. I think it was cheap - and totally disgusting. I would choke on every mouthful. Fortunately we were spared brains - or it would have come right back at her! :evil: Never eaten either since leaving home and never, ever inflicted it upon my children - I wonder, do they realise how lucky they are? :D

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 pm

To deny anyone the wonderful experience of good steak and kidney especially steak and kidney pie is totally unfair. Bet you eat beef sausages!

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Under sufferance! They are nice curried though.... :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I remember a line from Blackadder, where Rowan Atkins says to Baldrick " If a hungry cannibal was looking for a feed of your brains Baldrick he wouldn't find enough to cover a small cracker " :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Heather You can see you have never known real hunger or you would not say that, I suppose you would not eat snake, wild ducks kangaroo, camel, wild buffalo or wild pig or even wild rabbit and hare. Gee your spoilt .

Bill the old battler

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:45 pm

I would eat any of those things Bill - but put lambs fry in front of me and I would rather go hungry.... :) Not only have i eaten wild rabbit, Bill, I have gutted and cleaned them too. Don't think I ever shot one as I was too busy puttingmy hands over my ears! :lol: I'm not the sissy you think I am.... :lol:

Aren't there things you don't like to eat Bill?

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Curried sausages...you beauty! As I said we wont go into the contents of a beef sausage at the moment mine are just going under the griller.
How our tastes and eating habits have changed, but then I am very old. I grew up on just about everything cooked in loads of fat (remember the fat tin that every kitchen had?) Mostly red meat fried with vegetables, mashed potatoes and or eggs. Rissoles swimming in fat, pork chops and lamb cutlets (more fat) and baked dinners (extra fat.) Meat and three veg (with fat.)
Bread and milk for breakfast in the winter or porridge that had to be soaked over night prior to cooking and macaroni. Brawn, devon, garlic sausage and pork fritz. The only spaghetti I ever saw came in tins just like the baked beans and or the savoury curried rice.
Camp pie, all the offal dishes I mentioned. For sweets we had tapioca, jelly, junkets (would you believe they have stopped making junket tablets?) tinned fruit and the occasional trifle and on Sunday nights a small brick of Street's Ice Cream to go with the sweets. Wonder we survived, but then a lot of us didn't.
A tad off the subject I know, but that is when I ate brains!

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Tapioca, now whatever happened to tapioca? Wasn't it's other name sago? I loved sago....