How Bloody Hot is it !

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Re: How Bloody Hot is it !

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am

PS These two temperatures, 57C in the shade and 69 C in the sun, were the highest recorded on the expedition. They were also the highest reliably recorded on the earth to that point in time. Sturt prided himself as a geographer, he was careful when using instruments and aware of local causes, such as radiation from stones and sand.

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:21 am

Neville Briggs wrote:
Mal McLean wrote:Surf? Yeppoon? You've NEVer been there have you? :)
I have been there. Yeppoon has a Surf Life Saving Club. I rest my case. ;) :)
Ah that's true enough Nev. Perhaps it's the CQ sense of humour? We lived there for 7 years and I never once saw a wave worthy of being called surf except during a cyclone and then all the mad locals would come out of the asylums and catch a ride. :shock: We used to go down to Agnes Water for surf but generally we just got full which we could have done in Rocky. :shock: Ah, we are only young once! :oops:

It is 10.20 am and it is 36 degrees on the back deck here at Bracken Ridge. Melt.

Mal
Preserve the Culture!

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 am

Oddly, the temperature seems to be rising at the same rate the English wickets are falling.

Now 37.9 at Bracken Ridge and I am only a kilometer from the sea and on a hill. Must be melting in Ipswich and beyond.
Preserve the Culture!

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 am

The outside thermometer here is showing 36.8 at the moment, we might not get to 43 today - one can but hope. We seem to reach our maximum around the 3 or 4 o'clock mark, so it's still early.

And wouldn't you know it, our air con picked this week to crap itself. The fans aren't working properly and it is able to pull the temp down a bit but there was no cold air coming out of the vents so Alan in his wisdom got one of those huge industrial fans, sat it up on a chest of drawers facing the big aircon vent thingamee in the ceiling and it is blowing air up in the roof and out of the vents. Now all we need is for it to vibrate off the chest of drawers.

Oh I just looked again and while I was typing this the temp went up to 36.9. ...... and after typing that one sentence it is now 37.1, so it looks like 43 here we come.

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:44 am

Stay cool Leonie :) The temp here looks like it has evened out at 37.6. hot
Preserve the Culture!

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Up to 39 now and still climbing, only 29 in the house though and not too bad, that balancing act with the big fan seems to be doing the trick. :lol:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Obviously never been to the Big Dune or over to Zilzie Beach Mal.

The idea was not to surf but to look like you could .

Same as cricket really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 pm

The thermometer in my dining room says 43C (or about 109F) & it's only 2.30p!! Needless to say I'm eating lunch in my air conditioned office...with the standing fan in full blow...but the poor air con is struggling. If it gives up I'll head for my sheds & sit in a 44 gallon drum with water up to my neck.
beach babe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 pm

It's a bit of a change from usual, it's usually us over here getting fried to a frazzle, but we are experiencing a pleasant cooler period at the moment for a change - we did have a couple of hot spells into the forties awhile back.

Off to Canberra on Sunday; hope the weather is kind to us while we're there.

Ah Glenny you just popped in as I was about to post this.
I've been known to hop into a water tank up bush on a stinker of a day - hope we didn't taint the water for the stock.

Terry
Last edited by Terry on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Ah Bob, I have nothing but the fondest memories of Zilzie Beach mud at low tide. The trick used to be to get a couple of blokes pulling the trailer at full pace down the ramp while another pushed. When you hit the mud and the trailer went down to the axles the bloke at the back would pull the boat off the trailer while the other two dills would do their best to keep the thing going in a u turn and then hook up with the other bloke to try and get the trailer back to dry land....some times it didn't work. Returning at high tide was a bit easier! :o

Caught a lot of fish, sometimes.

38.3 was the hottest at my place. Cold drinks in the pool was the remedy. I feel for Glenny and Leonie at al in those 40 plus places. :cry:

:D

Mal
Preserve the Culture!