Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton burned down ...

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton burned down ...

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:34 am

Woke up to the sad news this morning that the "Waltzing Matilda Centre" in Winton has burned down.
Much poetic history has sadly gone up in flames ...

Heather

Re: Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton burned down ...

Post by Heather » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 am

Not good Manfred :(

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:15 am

What a dreadful loss to our cultural heritage.
Winton must be devastated.
BJ
Sing HU to open your heart.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 am

We were there last month and are now sad to see such a wonderful place destroyed. For those who have not been there the buildings contained one of the best displays of Australian memorabilia imaginable.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 am

Disastrous event, Manfred.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 pm

I just heard in a news flash that it appears to suspicious as well.

Hard to believe any true Aussie would destroy something as uniquely Australian as that.

A bit more of our old Australian heritage gone forever.

Terry

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Oh no, this is terrible news! What a devastating loss of what was clearly an incredible collection, which now so many people, including me, will never see! I am so sad to hear this today.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Very sad news - and even worse if what Terry heard is true. Let's hope not. To lose so much valuable history in an accident is bad enough, but to think someone deliberately caused it is ... well, unthinkable!

Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:08 am

One can only trust that the buildings were fully insured and that the contents also carried insurance. Of course it does not replace the irreplaceable ... naturally...

I am puzzled as to why there was such an almighty blaze as in the photo I saw. You might expect that with houses and pubs, but a museum and a modern one I thought might have been built in a way and of such materials that a conflagration like that was impossible.??? Puzzling.

There is Banjo Paterson The Man and The Poet.

It is his poetry that stands out. Winton is Paterson.

I suggest that the new facility have a unique Bush Poets book display. It could feature Paterson, but also many other poets as well, including today's. It is staggering how inexpensive old books are. I have eight copies of "In the Days When the World was Wide"C1900 by Lawson.. lovely books, gilt cover-lettering ... tissue over frontice. Value? I would like to say hundreds of dollars but you can get them for just $20 - $70. No big deal. They can almost always be replaced too.

My copy of 1906 An Outback Marriage (Paterson) cost me $10, plus popstage. Incredible.

There is a copy of The Shearer's Colt 1936, Banjo's second novel for sale at US$43 online... or was, I just bought it. I mean if you want to do an inexpensive but fantastic display... it does not take much imagination or money. Just time.

Display books do not need to be First editions. Sometimes the Second Editions are better and tourists do not know the difference.

Glass cases, velvet, spotlight can make these old books look spectacular. So many good old poets and their books are out there. Look up an author and there is his book somewhere on line.

That sort of area needs to be purpose built when the new building goes up, not after!
It requires certain things like climate control, correct lighting.. type and amount... and each stand alone glass display should have a button you press and can hear 15 seconds of the work of that particular poet. Yes even a computer "juke-box" where modern poets can record 15sec grabs of their own work. Participation.

And of course a very very fireproof building. High fire-rating.

It can be made an interactive display as well as an impressive static one. For adults and kids who like to push buttons.
A lifesize manequin of Banjo Paterson greets you at the door! "Welcome To My World Of Bush Poetry" it says. "Come and meet all my friends. There is Mr. Lawson...." not sure if that idea is original? but sounds good.

The cost is so low.

All it takes is a little imagination and a passion for bush poetry and a love of all these old guys who were just so good.... and hey presto! Instant great exhibition of Bush Poetry... to help it all get back again.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am

some great ideas there Gary - especially the interactive display and why not back that up with a video clip background as well voice activated that comes on when the poem is being read. With our modern technology it must be doable. Lets hope their insurance will cover the costs of rebuilding and refurbishing.
Last edited by Maureen K Clifford on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.