Forum Members

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Forum Members

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 am

I have been watching the inclusion of new forum members with interest. Some join and are active for a while and other get involved by either posting or visiting the site. There are quite a few however who never seem to even visit the site at all ? many of the other sites I participate in have a cut out of 12 months and if you have not visited the site in that period you are removed.

What do others think ? I cannot see the reason someone would join and then not keep in contact.

Do we need a similar system ?

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Re: Forum Members

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:36 am

I am not sure about chopping people out. But I agree that it is disappointing that we seem to have so many registered members who don't appear to be active on the site.

I have been wondering lately whether it is a waste of cost and effort for the ABPA to run the forum. Very few seem to want to post poems or discuss poetry. And after reading Neil's editorial in the magazine, maybe the same goes for the magazine.

Perhaps all that the members want is a blog that lists competitions and winners of competitions.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:17 am

Bob possibly some people just coming for a look-see, register and don't realise they can look without registering.

Neville, the forum is the only place I get to read poetry. It's also the only place I post poetry. If it weren't for the forum I would never have written poetry in the first place; it is where I was introduced to bush poetry (& other poetry), poets and poetry events, ideas, possibilities - long before I knew about any bush poets' group or magazine. I would not read a blog of competitions or results.

We've covered this before, but it's also the place where the bush poets can connect and keep in contact - from Cooktown, to Melbourne to Perth and without it we are all an island.

Heather :)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

The realities of our genre is that some people have only a passing interest whether it's at festivals or digital.
I really don't want to delete anyone, no matter how infrequent there visits are. Believe me ALL applications are vetted and there are a great many who don't make it this far.

That's also the reason this site is "self-censoring" we are all adults and lovers of our craft (even I've been 'censored' here by youse bastards).

Signed

The Grand Forum Poo Bah ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 am

....and Neville, think of all the conversations on poetry and other intelligent and flippant topics you'd have missed out on if not for the forum.... :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:23 am

I agree with all that, Manfred, Heather.

I am not questioning the value of the forum, just that the energy I thought we once had seems to have diminished, I don't know why.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 pm

... cyclical Nevvie ... ups and downs, swings and roundabouts ... just keep the home-fires burning .. :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Up to you Manny but I myself would be a bit tougher I think that not a visit to the site for two years would mean

chop chop . And they could hardly complain.

Bob

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 am

Perhaps many register for much the same reason I first joined the American Backflow Prevention Association? :roll:

But seriously, lets enjoy what we have here and celebrate the input from those who participate. Plenty to get ya knickers in a twist about without worrying about those not present.

Marty

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Marty I do not wear knickers and if I did twisting would not be an option.

I just get annoyed when people do not participate.

Bob.