Inclusive ?

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Re: Inclusive ?

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

Just extending that thinking of 'protecting' ABPA members, try applying that stipulation to written comps and we would find we would be excluding writers like Bruce Simpson, Kelly Dixon and Graham Fredriksen.

That is a requirement, hardly a guideline, and certainly not in keeping with the aims of the ABPA, as stated, "... to foster and encourage the growth of Bush Poetry in Australia." I fail to see the encouragement or potential for growth in that requirement.

The Guidelines document still needs to be ratified by the membership.

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Please note that this issue has been put on to the agenda for discussion at the next ABPA Committee meeting (24th September). Should there be any other complaints relative to the Competition Package, please address these to the Secretary so that they too may be considered. We are a democratic organization and the committee is appointed to carry out the wishes of the membership. So we welcome constructive comments whether of approval or of criticism. Without the comments we don't know what members require.

As you will see in both the June/July and the August/September President's Reports all aspects of the Competition Package are open to review and will be trialled at the upcoming State Championships. After any necessary adjustments will be made and the whole package will be up for membership ratifiaction at the next AGM.

Just a few notes

The Guidelines are just that - not rules (again refer to the President's Report Aug/Sept). The particular aspect being discussed here relevant to ABPA membership only applies to the Open Class for entrants competing to be ABPA National or State Champions.

The Guidelines are primarily to assist organizers and in particular those running National and State Championships - the ABPA itself does not run competitions it can only support and advise to help towards uniformity of conditions for entrants. The real organizers are the clubs themselves and we thank the willing and hard-working co-ordinators and their support teams with all our hearts.

In poetry
Hal
Sing HU to open your heart.

keats

Post by keats » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:40 pm

All entrants in ABPA National or State Championships MUST be paid-up members of the ABPA. Any paid-up member is entitled to enter a National or State Championship, regardless of residential address. The winner across all four categories is called the overall National or (Name of State) Bush Poetry Performance Champion.

Sounds like a concrete statement under a 'Guidelines' heading. I can't understand how it was put in if it is still up for debate?

Very confusing.

Neil

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:35 pm

I do not wish to make any competition exclusive. However as I said, If someone wants to participate in the championship they should think enough of the orginisation to join.

Let anyone participate and win if they wish but to take out a championship I think it only fair they are a member.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:56 pm

... So it's fair if you only win on affiliation rather than merit?

keats

Post by keats » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:46 pm

So no one else is welcome to Bush Poetry other than financial members? Well that should keep our heritage alive!

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:23 pm

yes I agree - to foster and encourage growth we cannot have exclusive events or comps.

Marty

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Agree with the last three comments. Surely a larger number of entries means more money towards the prize money and therefore less cost to the organisers of any comp. "Can't" is no way to get anyone involved in anything.

Heather :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:40 am

Somehow I have become the baddie.

I have no intention of wishing to exclude anyone from entering any competition. However if writers of 'Bush Poetry ' are interested in finding out how their work ('written and performed') stacks up with others of the same genre, and they want to try their luck, by all means, bring them on, but please - abide by the rules.

I still think that, if they wish to be called the ABPA Champion (of whatever) they should be a financial member.

Manfred, I know we are not dog breeders (or in my case it was Cats, many years ago) but I know you have the intelligence to see my point.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 am

Having an opinion does not make you a "baddie" Zondrae. :D

I have no problem with a closed (ABPA members only) competition, but I don't see the point.
Having an open National or State championship, by implication, means OPEN to everyone. The subsequent 'champion' would be a true champion by merit NOT by virtue of membership.

We (the ABPA) do not hold the mandate on Bush Poetry, we don't even hold competitions. The wider public who may come across poetry events are invited to join the ABPA, invited not coerced.

The ABPA through our aims, " ... To foster and encourage the growth of bush poetry in Australia ... " serve the clubs and the wider membership - serve them, NOT coerce them.

The ABPA give clubs an amount of money to run an ABPA National/State championship. This money is to 'assist' the club in the running of that event. The clubs in turn give the ABPA naming rights for that event usually held in conjunction with their own established event. This gives the ABPA exposure.

The clubs work hard in raising the funds to host their annual events, many which have been established for several years. If rules rather than guidelines are imposed on the clubs, there is nothing to stop the clubs rejecting those rules and the ABPA money, and holding their own State or National championships without flying the ABPA banner. It's been done before.

When we set up the sub-committee to look at what was then, "The Rules for Competition", the first two things that were changed was the title (to "Guidelines" for Competition) AND the intent.

I sincerely hope the current ABPA committee is not thinking of imposing 'rules' .... :cry: