Poetry Reading

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Heather

Re: Poetry Reading

Post by Heather » Sat May 17, 2014 2:16 pm

I started reading at poets' breakfasts (with a mandatory lecturn to hide the shaky legs) in order to share my own poems. I eventually learned to recite one poem so that I could look at the audience as I recited. It went ok but I discovered that I have no desire to "perform" or have to think of all the other things you need to do when reciting to an audience. I enjoy reading and reading well; then I am in total control of the words and how I express them. Consequently, my reciting career was limited to two public recitals of one poem. I no longer get up to perform or read now. I prefer to read to myself or quietly read my own poems to someone else and do a good job of it.

I can enjoy a poem that is presented as entertainment by the likes of Greg North, Neil or Bill Kearns (& you too Bob) and I can also enjoy listening to a beautiful poem that would not translate into entertainment for the masses but is best listened to with the eyes closed and the senses all tuned in.

And once again I am exquisitely correct! :D ;)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat May 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Bob Pacey wrote:I think ya's all think to much !

All that time wasted and you could have been writing poetry Bob

No, No, No ! Bob, a thousand times No. Thinking is where poetry is made.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat May 17, 2014 3:35 pm

I agree with all that David has said . . . especially about pre-judging those who read and don't recite, and especially those poets who shut off completely at the sniff of some free verse. But there is something almost magical about a memorised performance of a poem. Nikki Gemmell wrote recently in the Weekend Australian about a barbeque she was at - typical Aussie BBQ, late arvo, drinks and setting sun with a lull in conversation - spontaneously it just came from someone "There was movement at the station........." and at the end it just blew them all away. It was unexpected and electric, and undoubtedly it's impact would not have been the same had someone pulled out a sheaf of papers and started reading.

Marty

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Agreed Marty. A poem and a way to do it for every occasion :)

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat May 17, 2014 6:28 pm

I don't fink Martyboy has ever seen David Campbell present a poem. His reading was an entirely professional yet personal experience that I will not readily forget. It was just...sublime. (I'd never seen that before or had believed it was possible.)
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat May 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Dear David - I couldn't agree more and I love your poetic treatment of the subject! Of course it's wonderful if we can memorise our work, but the best of us have lapses and brain fades, or miss our stride with a sudden distraction, all of which can ruin a recital. At our informal concerts my husband Rod and I do plan to recite from memory, but we keep our scripts on stands, set fairly low and often slightly to one side. It makes all the difference being able to glance down if we need to. A "security blanket" I guess, but it works for us. Of course, competitions are a different kettle of fish, pressure and nerves :? Best Regards, Shelley Hansen
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

keats

Post by keats » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Oh for Christ's sake! If you want to read then bloody read! If the competition says recite then recite! The opportunities for ambush Poets to perform is dwindling significantly so either read where they allow it or perform by memory where most Poetry venues employ you for. This is becoming a very old arguement. So basically give a lot of thought to whether you want a paid career or just go out to do for the sake of fun (or ego). If you wish to make a career out of it, then be professional and commit your poetry to memory. If you just want to piddle about with small venues and little festivals, then bloody read it! The choice of where you want to take your poetry is up to you! So stop trying to justify reading poetry at every festival and event. Do it for fun or as a career. It really doesn't impact on anyone else!

Despondently

Neil

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 17, 2014 7:47 pm

:)

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sat May 17, 2014 8:43 pm

So we have arrived at the three R's.

Rote, recite or read.

And thus, I think you will agree, I have summed everything up very neatly.
Preserve the Culture!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun May 18, 2014 4:23 am

I thought I had already said that Keats just did not use all those words !

( I think ya's all think to much !

All that time wasted and you could have been writing Poetry ) ;) ;) ;)

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!