Cyclone victims!

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Cyclone victims!

Post by Zondrae » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:02 pm

If my memory isn't playing tricks,

I believe there are at least two of our members who live in the cyclone hit area.
Veronica (Ronnie) Weal who lives on the tablelands and Marty (waroo) who lives at (or very near) Cooktown.

Ronnie who the Bronze Swagman in 2010 and I had the pleasure of meeting her and spending a most enjoyable three hours deep in conversation.

Marty on the other hand I have not met (yet).

Lets hope they and their families are safe and dry.

and it is headed towards Bob Pacey at a rapid pace. Batten down the hatches Bob. We would be lost without your posts.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

r.magnay

Re: Cyclone victims!

Post by r.magnay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 pm

..oh no! my grandkids recently moved to Yeppoon....I didn't realize that the cyclone was coming down that far!
Ross

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:16 pm

I sent Marty Pattie a message to see if he was OK but the power is apparently out at Cooktown and I guess they are busy cleaning up and sorting things out, so I haven't heard back.

I heard on the news that at Cooktown there were some buildings damaged but no casualties.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Marty is about 23km south of Cooktown. He can't get mobile reception where he lives. I think their main problem will be flooding and they will be isolated from Cooktown.

Never fear Ross, it's a category one now and they're used to a bit of wind up there - afterall, Bob lives there!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:57 pm

I've just spoken to Marty's mother and she hasn't heard from him - however, the mobile, landline and power are all out.. Marty and family were taking refuge in a friend's bunker -I'm sure they will be safe but probably unable to move around due to flood waters.

Heather

PS Marty's mum says if anyone hears from him to him to ring his mum! :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:58 am

Hang on to your hat Robere - there's a cranky female gunning for you ... Stay safe Mate.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 am

spoke to my grandson Jack last night, he said there is a lot of rain but not much wind...he mustn't live near the caravan park..... :roll:
Ross

warooa

Post by warooa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 am

Yeah all good here, only just got power back on last night. Lots of cleaning up still to do, only victims were lots of trees and chooks sheds and the roof on the middle pub. ;)

Marty

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am

Great to know you came through unscathed Marty - Hope the chooks aren't to traumatized. :) And if the Pub has still got beer on tap the problem there isn't that bad.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am

The cook of that pub, "Dragon" made it onto national TV, Marty. Another interesting Cooktown character.

Heather :)