Bugger Off

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Bugger Off

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 am

Australia will wait to see what New Zealand comes up with for its new flag, and then adopt it itself, just with different coloured stars.
Australia to follow New Zealands Lead for new flag.

The news comes after New Zealand Prime Minster John Key today announced plans for a referendum to change his country’s flag.

While many Australians have always wanted to get rid of the Union Jack, the lack of apathy required to make it a reality has remained a stumbling block.

But following the New Zealand announcement, there is renewed indifference in Australia for change. “Sounds easy, so yeah, let’s do it. I guess,” said one Australian worker after learning of his country’s plans.

Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, meanwhile, says he supports the push for a new flag, as long as the Union Jack remains “as prominent or more prominent” than on the current version.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Re: Bugger Off

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 am

There must be a lack of items for news, the journalists are recycling this worn out argument.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am

I think it was the Kiwi PM who put the idea out there, Nev. Nothing as fair as putting it to a referendum.

I reckon it's a great idea - for both NZ and us - it's ridiculous that we've not been able to sever those colonial apron strings, and prepare for the gushing platitudes of bilious gumph about to spew forth with the coming Royal tour.

Unfortunately there is a fractious splitting amongst those who would like change as to what our national flag could be? I personally like the Eureka flag before it gets hijacked to a greater extent by the masses of unrepresentative Unions.

Marty

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

G'day Bob, etc,

Please excuse my ignorance but I though that the Eureka flag was a rip off of the confederate US flag. Is this not so.

There is a great poem called 'Our Flag' that explains the whole meaning behind our flag. I don't have the poem or the author but I will get it and put it up. The old 'lets have a referendum' trick always works. How often has the 'yes' vote won? And then again a clever politician would know how to phrase a question so that if you say 'no' you are agreeing to the change. Sorry but I am in the 'leave it alone because I love it' gang.
As for the (so called) Aboriginal flag, I am not sure where it came from. I have read what the colours mean but it is a 'Johnny come lately' as far as I can see. It has only been round for a short time. I am older than it is. I don't think this flag has any place on the national flag. Adding it can only be divisive rather than inclusive.
The Southern Cross is the unifying symbol to represent all Australians in my view.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

DollyDot

Post by DollyDot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Just a couple of questions?
Is it broke?
If so how much will it cost to fix it?
What is the real reason for changing the flag? In other words is it a smokescreen for something else? All pollies (from whatever country) are good at this!
Or does my cynicism come with age?

Cheers

Dot

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm

here, here. Dot.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Zondrae. The Eureka Flag was used at the Eureka rebellion in 1854. The American Confederate flag with the cross and stars was not devised until 1862 after the 2nd Battle of Bull Run.
Maybe yoo awll johnny rebs got the idea from Oz.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:14 pm

It doesn't have to be a smoke screen - why not just change for the fact that it is long overdue - it does not mean any disrespect for anything that has come before, it is simply time to move on and acknowledge that the great whopping space the Union Jack takes up on our flag is disproportional to the current relevance that it has upon our country and its populace.

Marty

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:28 pm

"why not just change for the fact that it is long overdue - it does not mean any disrespect "

I beg to differ just ask our veterans

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm with you Marty,

If someone can come up with a decent design for a new flag (better than many of the ones I have seen proposed), I'll be all for it.

And, in my opinion, it is also time that we cut our ties with the other long outdated thing that goes with the Union Jack - the English Monarchy. They are irrelevant to modern Australia (and probably modern England too for that matter).
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek