Fish for tea tonight

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Re: Fish for tea tonight

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 am

G/day Bob,
Looking at the photo's as well as attracting the fish, it also attracts a lot of fishermen both of the bank and out in boats.

Do you use bait or spin for them - I'm not familiar with that fish; almost Trevally like.

They're quite a deep fish so I imagine they put up a good fight.

Cheers Terry

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 pm

There is a story there Terry, when I was in my late twenties we started coming in to the causeway and camping over the Christmas break. In those days the old bridge had no walkway and fishing from the bridge was banned so the only way to fish the run was to stand in the water under the bridge, You only got a small window as the run started and finished as the current was really strong and many an inexperienced angler went down the gurgler when a jelly fish hit them in the legs.

I learnt the art of fishing the run from the old blokes in their seventies in exchange for me collecting their bait. ! 10 kilo pretest line no sinker a heavy trace and a live prawn holed through the tail on a 2/o hook.

Now the new bridge has a walkway and it is open slather oh they still catch fish but not a big as they are fishing way down the run due to the current. I found a new spot about 50 meters down where the current swirls around some rocks and use live yabbies. I normally fish out of a 1.6 metre old bondwood duck punt but you can also fish in the water standing on the sandbank.

I often wonder what would happen if I put a sign on the bridge Hey I'm fishing below keep clear just to have one more go at it.

Cheers will post some more pics if I can find them.

The sickle fish is a related to the trevally sometimes called a butter fish and is a bottom feeder with an elongated extension mouth.

Went back again today at lunch and got another for tea tonight.

Some info

Sickle fish (or butter bream) are a common bait fishing target in our tidal estuaries and the salt water section of river mouths.

This pretty little fish grows to the size of a large dinner plate, and is just as round with distinguishing black spots over bright silver bodies.

They use the current to their advantage, turning side on and offer a much more spirited fight than their size would suggest.

Best caught on light spinning tackle, a standard running rig, 1 to 1/0 hook baited with peeled or live prawn.

They are good eating, as their common name would suggest. A great family fish.

That's me in the red shorts under the bridge as the new one was being built,
Cheers Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Jeff Thorpe

Post by Jeff Thorpe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 pm

The good old Causeway. Top spot Bob. Caught a Pike there in my youth that weighed 6.5 lbs on the Rocky Post Office Scales. The good old days.

Cheers, Jeff

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks for the info Bob,

Might have to give it a go if I get over there - that's if my flam'en knee ever gets better after my op.

Cheers terry

alongtimegone

Post by alongtimegone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

Nice looking fish. Shame about the knife. :)
Wazza

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Found that one sticking in the sand Wazza it was all rusted so it has cleaned up all right as a working knife so I can keep my good ones in the tackle box.

Cheers any visitors welcome

Bob

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Went back again and I'am still out there standing in the water on my own with boats about 19 metres away, and they got nothing.

one even tried to anchor up where I was fishing he got the short shift I can tell you.

Bob

Got four but only kept this one weighed 2 kilos nice fish .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Still on the chew must better to spend lunch fishing then reading the paper.