Punctuation

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
David Campbell

Re: Punctuation

Post by David Campbell » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 am

It depends on the rules, Neil. Some competitions (e.g. Dunedoo, Henry Lawson Society, North Pine, Hunter Bush Poets) will accept poems provided they have not previously won a first prize, so poems that have won minor awards elsewhere can legitimately be submitted. If they still only win minor awards they'll keep cropping up, and this has been happening for yonks. Just as performance poets keep winning awards with the same poem in multiple competitions. It's always puzzled me that writers are expected to keep producing new work all the time, but the same weight of expectation doesn't seem to apply in the performance competition arena. The only restriction might be that a poem can't have been previously recited in that particular competition.

In addition, if there's a rule in a written comp. that says poems can't have won a first prize by the closing date, you may get such a poem submitted to a couple of competitions simultaneously when they have similar closing dates...and if both subsequently win prizes about the same time it can look a bit suss. But there are also competitions that don't allow poems to be entered elsewhere until after results are announced. Some comps (Blackened Billy) ban poems that have won a first, second or third prize, while others (Grenfell Henry Lawson, Banjo Paterson) don't seem to be concerned about previous awards, but won't accept anything that's been published. Then there's the whole question of whether or not we're talking about publishing for payment, something I've banged on about before. All that being said, it would appear that there has been some rule-breaking recently...one case in particular, which is a worry...but that raises the question of what to do about it because this only emerges after awards have been made. Take back the award? Public flogging? It'd be hard to prove it was deliberate as there's always the possibility that the rules were simply misread or misunderstood.

It's a real minefield that's very difficult to police because it relies on organisers and judges being aware of poems that have won awards in other competitions, and nobody can be completely across the detail of that. I retire my own poems permanently if they've won a first prize and avoid submitting the same poem simultaneously to competitions, although that can be frustrating if there's a long and unannounced delay before results are published. In answer to your question about whether anyone writes "for the pleasure of others" any more, I know there are those who have no interest in written competitions because they've said so on this site. Just as there are performers who expect to be paid and others who do it simply for the enjoyment.

As for myself, I spent 40 years writing poems for special family/friend and work occasions...just for the pleasure of others...and now I do it in retirement for the challenge that competitions offer, the prize money, the publication opportunities and because, like Glenny, I love playing with words. It's a hobby that's become most enjoyable 'work'. If others appreciate the result, that's a bonus. And judging is one way of giving something back.

David

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 pm

David and anyone else reading,

My reason for writing is because I feel I must. I do it for me first but it is nice to know that some others have read some of my scribble and liked it. I began to enter competitions to assure myself I am not wasting trees. I haven't been active recently because I am learning to play a musical instrument and there goes the time I used to use for writing. I am feeling more confident about my playing and lately I have begun to write little bits so I hope to have something decent again soon. This all sounds so egocentric. But I guess at my stage of life I can take some time for me.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Yes, I'm like Zondrae. I need the creative outlet. I tend to write a poem first, and then think about what - if anything - I can do with it after that. As often as not, I don't do anything much with them at all.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

keats

Post by keats » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 pm

So no one can actually answer my question? It really is a shame.

Cheers

Neil

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 am

Yeah I Do Neil,

Only cause I get bored easily

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:09 am

What's your answer, Neil?

David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:32 am

What's your question, Neil?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

keats

Post by keats » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I was questioning why so many writers purely write for accolades and trophies? I rarely get these poems sent in for the magazine. David is generous with his contributions. Others will not submit their poems until they have finished doing the rounds of every comp they can find. Even then, many do not submit them at all. Members query why I am not publishing more winning poems. What do I tell them ? People haven't finished trying to win with them yet? People are not interested in sharing their poems?

I don't know the answer. I wish I did.

It is just pretty sad. The other comment I made was how judges (often the same ones) are supposed to judge the same Poem several times in different comps. Vic pointed out that this has been discuss already. I will search for that later.

Neil

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:20 pm

I write for the creative satisfaction. I love the excitement that comes when you feel you have created something good. Once a poem is written I like to share it. Writers need a readership in the same way performers need an audience. Yes you can dabble without one, but it's a lot more fun to be able to share. I perform at lots of events that aren't competitions, but there aren't as many opportunities for writers. Publications like The Bulletin, that provided so many opportunities for poets like Paterson and Lawson, are pretty thin on the ground nowadays. Competitions provide an alternative platform for writers.
While the money is a nice bonus, competitions are not all about winning... no one in their right mind would write bush poetry for the money. I've learned a lot from the feedback I've received from entering competitions, and consequently I feel my writing has improved.
I am not one to care much for dust-collectors/trophies, but I see the money as a useful measure of the size of the challenge (on the basis that most of the better writers will also be vying for the same prize). So if you win a big comp, it gives you confidence in your writing.
I'm only newcomer to the winners' circle, but I have been lucky enough to win several comps this year. Twice one of my poems has won awards in two competitions, each time because (as David explained) the second comp took poems that hadn't won anything by the closing date. The rules for the comps are so varied the only way I can get my head around it all is to comply with the rules of the particular comp I am entering. I do the same for performance comps, (although whatever the rules, I try not to say the same poem in the same place twice, whether competition or not).
That's another reason I like writing... to give me a steady flow of new material!
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:19 pm

G/day Glenny,
Thanks for that information, sorry it taken so long to reply.
I had a knee op. on Tuesday so have been giving the computer a rest for awhile.

Terry