Kev Carmody

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
warooa

Kev Carmody

Post by warooa » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Was great to hear noted lyricist, storyteller and musician Kev Carmody won the Don Banks Award last night for his services to music.

I heard an interview on the radio this morning where he touched on the economy of words. He cited as an example how Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath - as wonderful as it was, said in 500 odd pages what Woody Guthrie managed to say in 29 verses.

Marty

Stephen Whiteside

Re: Kev Carmody

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Great to hear of some recognition of Kev Carmody. I think he is one of Australia's most brilliant songwriters - he's a bit like Woody Guthrie himself.

The relationship between Steinbeck and Guthrie has always fascinated me. I don't think they ever met, but they did seem to be saying so much of the same thing, each in their own way. Steinbeck seemed to be part of the cultural mainstream, while Guthrie seemed an eternal outsider - but perhaps that says more about their genres - the novelist versus the songwriter - than them as individuals.

Carmody has received very little recognition in Australia - partly because he is black, I suppose, and partly because he is so uncompromising politically. I think the tide might be starting to turn. I remember there was a Carmody tribute album released a couple of years ago. Always nice if artists like this can live long enough to hear the plaudits that will eventually come their way.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 pm

From little things big things grow - he is a marvellous lyricist and his songs beyond compare with their message to the bone. My favourite is On the wire - he did a duet with Troy Cassar Daley, absolute magic.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Sorry Zondrae, "Bird on the Wire" was written by Leonard Coen (A Canadian) and was 'covered' by Troy Cassar Daly and Jimmy Barnes. ... :((

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 am

Manfred, Carmody wrote a song 'On the Wire' - it's on his 'Bloodlines' album. Quite different to Cohen's song.

My favourite is 'Living South of the Freeway'. It's set in Logan City, named after our good friend Captain Logan, him of 'Moreton Bay'.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 am

Welcome back boss . . . but ay you bin spendin' too much time in the sun in dat Todd River bed - Maureen is correct, Kev Carmody did write a song "On the Wire".

And I think it was "Cohen" who wrote "Bird on the Wire".

Welcome back

Marty

ps. been enjoying your travelling updates and pics on FB

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 am

see we're lining up to correct him, Stephen :lol:

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 pm

How did I get involved.?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm

by proxy Zondrae - perhaps :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm

... Oooopth ... clearly a case of, "Read the bloody thing properly before engaging the fingers ... " :D