Judges of the Secret Court

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Re: Judges of the Secret Court

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Does not worry me either way I write as I write and either they like it or they don't.

Like most things anyone can be a judge just that some are better than others.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am

It is really a very simple matter. If the judge prefers to be anonymous than so be it.
However I have absolutely no doubt that each judge has his/her own criteria in relation to poetry.
As I said I know a number of those who judge, I know their styles and I know their tastes and I am seldom surprised at their decisions which are reflected in the poems that they choose as winning poems. Therefore if I was aware of who was judging a competition I would ensure my poem was written with the judges taste in mind. I'd be foolish to do otherwise.
I will not name anyone but I know some judges are still counting syllables and see that, coupled with precise rhyme as paramount.
Another judge I know would not accept a slant rhyme under any circumstance.
Another is pedantic when it comes to punctuation and another absolutely detests long poems.
Some judges still think that a bush poem revolves around horses, dogs and dunnies and humour is everything.
Just part of their makeup and provided you can tailor your poetry to suit the judge you should do well.
'Spose I should add I seldom enter competitions!

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Perhaps we should just be grateful that some poets bother to take up judging at all, as I've said before, whether we're judges or poets (in some cases both) we all have our particular leanings and that's how it should be, in my opinion.

Cheers Terry

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm

My little bit..

I have been cornered into judging a few bits and pieces lately. I would prefer to be unknown but the circumstances have made this impossible. All I can do is judge as I see it (on the day) for performance and 'by the rules' for written work. A couple of the comps have NOT stated 'bush' poetry, therefore I did not apply 'bush' poetry rules but looked for the poem that moved me or made me stop and sigh or laugh out loud. When one is judging solo it is hard enough but when there is more than one judge it gets even harder. I have 'sat' on judging panels of three and we each have our own preference. I am not that sure of myself that I press my opinion very hard. A judging panel of two is even harder. While I would prefer to compete (and fail) rather than judge, if a festival or other event ask me to judge they must think I know what I am looking for. Then if they ask me a second time, there must not have been too many complaints.

On several occasions I have been judging with another member of ABPA , we have placed the same half dozen poems in our top set, though not necessarily in the same order. Only goes to prove that we do know a good poem when we see one and we (well the ones that I have been paired with) understand the 'rules', and/or at least interpret them the same way.
Zondrae King
a woman of words