Bob Pacey will be thrilled

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Zondrae

Re: Bob Pacey will be thrilled

Post by Zondrae » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:29 am

uumm,

Isn't 'football' the game they play with a round ball?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:53 am

...no that's netball........or soccer!.... :roll:

...you see there is rugby league, rugby union, soccer and Australian rules FOOTBALL....(AFL)..... 8-)
Ross

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Golf AND tennis are played with a round ball too!!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey Manny you forgot Polo , Lacross and squash

bill w

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 pm

softball, ping-pong, Rounders., Brandings....
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Post by keats » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Ahhh, yes, but not played with the Foot.

AFL is the only form of 'Football' where one can only score maximum points by using their foot. Now, don't argue about it, y'all. Think about it. I know I am right, 100%.

Not bad for a Gold Coast Suns Supporter. lol

Neil

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 am

Yes how right you are Keats . . . didjaknow soccer players can actually (literally) score a legal goal with their arse!

And I guess you could do worse than being a Gold Coast Suns supporter - like Collingwood for eg. (go the Hawks!)

Cheers, Marty

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 am

So!!...is not a field goal, penalty goal or try goal in either rugby game all scored with the foot!!...& think about it AFL is 60% handled with the hands, hand balling, running & bouncing the ball, marking etc. The only real "football" (and I'm not a follower) is soccer which was originaly called football.... :D

exerpt from wikipedia.....

The Ancient Greeks and Romans are known to have played many ball games, some of which involved the use of the feet. The Roman game harpastum is believed to have been adapted from a Greek team game known as "ἐπίσκυρος" (Episkyros)[8][9] or "φαινίνδα" (phaininda),[10] which is mentioned by a Greek playwright, Antiphanes (388–311 BC) and later referred to by the Christian theologian Clement of Alexandria (c.150-c.215 AD). These games appear to have resembled rugby football.[11][12][13][14][15] The Roman politician Cicero (106–43 BC) describes the case of a man who was killed whilst having a shave when a ball was kicked into a barber's shop. Roman ball games already knew the air-filled ball, the follis.[16][17]

Documented evidence of an activity resembling football can be found in the Chinese military manual Zhan Guo Ce compiled between the 3rd century and 1st century BC.[18] It describes a practice known as cuju (蹴鞠, literally "kick ball"), which originally involved kicking a leather ball through a small hole in a piece of silk cloth which was fixed on bamboo canes and hung about 9 m above ground. During the Han Dynasty (206 BC–220 AD), cuju games were standardized and rules were established.[citation needed] Variations of this game later spread to Japan and Korea, known as kemari and chuk-guk respectively. Later, another type of goal posts emerged, consisting of just one goal post in the middle of the field.[citation needed]

A revived version of kemari being played at the Tanzan Shrine, Japan.The Japanese version of cuju is kemari (蹴鞠), and was developed during the Asuka period.[citation needed]This is known to have been played within the Japanese imperial court in Kyoto from about 600 AD. In kemari several people stand in a circle and kick a ball to each other, trying not to let the ball drop to the ground (much like keepie uppie). The game appears to have died out sometime before the mid-19th century. It was revived in 1903 and is now played at a number of festivals

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:59 am

...well Dave I guess Marty blew that out of the water...maybe when they changed it to soccer from football they should have called arseball!

...why do you suppose they changed it from football to soccer anyway?.....(.AFL..Australian rules FOOTBALL League 8-) ....
Ross

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 am

...Hey! Proffessor Dave Delaney, how did you slip all that BS in between when I read your post to when I finished replying without getting an edited note on the bottom?.... :?
Ross