Aussie Birds Quiz.

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Rimeriter

Aussie Birds Quiz.

Post by Rimeriter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 pm

NOTE - there are no prizes available for any or all correct.

1. Which bird of prey that is found all over Australia is the fastest member of the animal kingdom?

a) Grey falcon b) Black falcon c) Blue holden d) Peregrine falcon

2. The orange-footed scrubfowl, the Australian brush turkey and the malleefowl have an unusual method for incubating their eggs. Which of the statements below is true?

a) The male bird holds the eggs on top of his feet for 64 consecutive days until they hatch b) They bury eggs in a massive mound structure they build which is up to 4 metres wide and maintain it at 33 degrees for 50 days by adding or subtracting leaf litter c) The birds bury eggs in sand for 90 days and the temperature determines if the hatchlings are female or male d) They build a massive pod of leaves and feathers which hangs high in the branches of the river red gum and two almost spherical eggs are incubated 30 metres above the ground

3. The budgerigar is a favourite pet all over the world. But not many people know the origin of this charming little parrot. Which one of these statements is true?

a) The budgerigar's original colour was blue and white with black markings and it was only found in the central desert of Australia b) Its natural colour was green and yellow with black markings and it was found all through the inland of Australia and on the West coast c) It was bred from the rainbow lorikeet: a friendly red-beaked, purple-headed bird with green and yellow feathers found through the east and north coastal areas, especially in the tropics d) A budgerigar kept in a travelling cage by the explorer Ludwig Leichhardt flew back from the Great Sandy desert to his Brisbane home in November 1848. For several weeks it eerily repeated what sounded like, "Hilfe bitte,"( "Help please," in German) then eventually stopped eating and died

More to follow.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Aussie Birds Quiz.

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:50 pm

d, b and b
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 pm

last one should be B Maureen.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Put you glasses on - it is :roll:

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 am

...yeah Bob, you lookin' through a bundy bottle again?.....and it should be your glasses Maureen 8-)
Ross

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:09 am

Could have sworn it was a D ??

Gremlins on the site me thinks.

Bob

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 am

Pull your head in Ross :o - Bob couldn't see through my glasses either :lol: :lol: sometimes neither can I :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 am

Must be those rose coloured ones Maureen ??????

They tell me outback tours is gonna start up in Ipswich with canoe adventures ???

Bob

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

...yeah I can see that Maureen.....it should be 'your' glasses not 'you' glasses.....previous post :roll:
Ross

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Answer: D Peregrine falcon.

Answer: B They bury eggs in a massive mound structure they build which is up to four metres wide and maintain it at 33 degrees for 50 days by adding or subtracting leaf litter.

Answer: B Its natural colour was green and yellow with black markings and it was found all through the inland of Australia and on the West coast.

"onya" Maureen.

4. Which big, black, red-eyed bird flies to Australia in springtime to find a mate or two, during which time they make loud, annoying noises day and night?
a) The koel b) The bronze cuckoo c) The bronzed itinerant surfie drifter d) The channel-billed cuckoo

5. Some unusual methods of protecting Australia's little penguins have been used. Which of these statements is false?
a) A sheepdog was used to protect one penguin colony in Victoria b) Dolphins were trained as "penguin shepherds" to protect penguins on the Gold Coast c) Snipers were deployed to protect a NSW colony of little penguins d) A springer spaniel was trained to detect penguin burrows and differentiate them from fox burrow.

6. When explorers first discovered Lord Howe Island in 1788, the Lord Howe woodhen seemed plentiful. By the late 1970s, it was one of the rarest birds on earth with only 30 left. What caused its decline?
a) They were eaten by humans because the birds were so tame they could be just hit on the head and killed easily b) Introduced owls, feral cats and pigs preyed on the woodhens c) Feral pigs and goats competed with the birds for food and damaged their habitats d) All of the above.