Thelma and Lou

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Darren

Re: Thelma and Lou

Post by Darren » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Bob Pacey wrote:Hey who is Thelma and Lou or have i missed something again ????

Bob

Thelma & Louise is a 1991 film co-produced and directed by Ridley Scott and written by Callie Khouri, the film's plot revolves around Thelma and Louise's escape from their troubled and caged lives. It stars Geena Davis as Thelma and Susan Sarandon as Louise, and co-stars Harvey Keitel as a sympathetic detective trying to trace them as they go on the run after killing a rapist. Michael Madsen plays the role of Louise's boyfriend. Brad Pitt (in one of his first significant film roles) plays a robber out on parole.

And in the end......

Thelma and Louise are finally cornered by police only about 100 yards from the edge of the Grand Canyon. Detective Slocumb arrives on the scene and protests that the law enforcement response is too heavy, but he is refused the chance to make one last attempt to talk the women into surrendering themselves. Rather than be captured and spend the rest of their lives in jail, Thelma proposes that they keep going, implying that they end their lives by driving over the edge and into the canyon. Louise initially doesn't understand, and Thelma repeats herself. Louise smiles and asks Thelma if she is certain, and Thelma replies yes. Louise pulls Thelma to her and kisses her and then she stomps on the gas. Slocumb recognizes what is happening as soon as the car starts forward, and he sprints after the women in a desperate effort to save them. The film ends with the car driving over the cliff and flying through the air. End credits begin over a montage of their happier moments together during the weekend.

So Bob they had better hope to re write the end or the forum will be a much quieter place. :(

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 pm

It was a very unmemorable movie if I recall correctly.

It involved a car trip and two women - the ending has been rewritten! :) Thelma's safely home in Tumut recovering from having to listen to Lou for 10 hours straight! Lou has her voice back - mostly and there's no stopping her now! ;)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Waste of a good car I always thought Darren :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Thank you Darren I was getting used to being ignored and now I can sleep peacefully :| :| :|

Robert.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Darren

Post by Darren » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Bob,

Can't have you missing sleep mate. I don't say much on the forum these days :| but still do some reading.

I had a couple of video libraries when this came out. It was a popular movie and was nominated for lots of awards.

"Thelma & Louise became an instant critical and commercial success, receiving six Academy Award nominations and winning one for Best Original Screenplay (Khouri). Both Sarandon and Davis were nominated for their roles in the same category, Academy Award for Best Actress. However, the two lost the award to Jodie Foster for her role in The Silence of the Lambs."

I can't remember the film well but yes Maureen I agree it was a waste of a nice car. It put a whole different complexion on "parking".

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:48 pm

It was a green 1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible and most of the time Thelma and Louse weren't even driving it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:33 pm

How boring must that have been? :roll:

Darren

Post by Darren » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 am

What you see is not what you get. Smoke and mirrors.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am

ain't that the truth

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 am

Finally home from our own road trip to Tamworth. Not exactly Thelma and Louise in a 1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible, more like Ma and Pa Kettle in a donkey cart. We only had two days at the festival, but managed to hear some terrific poetry and see a fascinating variety of musos in action along Peel Street and in various venues…particularly entertained by a young group called the Perch Creek Family Jugband. Had their CD playing in the car on the way home, along with one called Seriously by our brilliant Glenny Palmer.

Also had the good fortune to see Glenny performing on the Poettes stage, so now I know that all the stories are true! The ‘other’ Thelma and Lou did their Poettes thing like a couple of old pros stagewise…and don’t let them tell you otherwise. (Who was the local Brad Pitt?)

Didn’t see Tom’s performance in the heats (G’day Tom…must get together for a longer chat somewhere, sometime), but heard that he was unlucky to miss the finals. Did see Marty, however, and picked up some valuable (and very funny) tips on chook-shed renovation/instant chicken fricassee. Off to Bunnings for an angle grinder tomorrow. Although maybe Manfred can get me one for nothing…he was very generous with the handouts while hosting the Friday morning heat!

It was great to catch up (albeit briefly) with so many from the bush poetry world, most of whom I only knew via the magazine and the website. Too many to name everyone, but I must say “Congratulations!” to Terry for the Charlee Marshall win…hadn’t heard about that result when we had our brief conversation. And I’ve just read the poem…beautifully done. Also would have liked to discuss a few things with Neville, but that’ll have to wait for another time. And spend longer talking poetry with Val Wallace…why is she missing from Heather's photo?

Stephen had gone by the time we got there, but he should know that the story of the ‘fuel fule’ has already passed into local folklore. So much so that the McClymont Sisters have worked up a tune called The Man from Yarra River, while the Bushwhackers are churning out a little ditty called Even Stephen Won’t Be Leavin’.

Must pay tribute to Jan Morris and the members of the Tamworth Poetry Reading Group for the remarkable job they do organising the Blackened Billy and Golden Damper competitions. Everything runs smoothly and efficiently, and the standard of communication with competitors is of the highest quality. Jan and her team provide an excellent blueprint for the conduct of poetry competitions.

Tamworth is one of those experiences that you can hear a lot about, but the only way to understand it is to go there and soak up the atmosphere.

Cheers to all who said “hello”!
David