Interesting article

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Interesting article

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 am

by Moira Allen.

As a writer, you naturally want to make a name for yourself. But what if that name isn't the one you were born with? Writing under pseudonyms or "pen names" is a fine and honored tradition; many of the greatest names in literature were "invented," and many of today's bestselling authors use pseudonyms as well. Should you?

The answer may depend on why you wish to do so. As with any writing decision, there are good reasons and bad reasons to use a pen name. Let's start with some of the bad reasons:

"I'd like something more exotic." This often involves an assumption that editors (or readers) will be more "impressed" by a more interesting name. They won't. Let your writing impress them, and soon your name will be considered "impressive" in its own right.

"I'd like a name that reflects my inner self." This depends on who your inner self happens to be. While a name like "Merlin Firecat" or "Lady Starshine" may reflect something deep within you, it is likely to convey an impression of amateurism to an editor. If you want a pseudonym, keep it professional.

"I don't want anyone to know that I'm the author." Most editors have little tolerance for writers who want to "hide" behind a false name. If you're presenting a controversial opinion, you should be willing to defend it. If you're writing in a genre you fear others won't respect, keep in mind that this is their problem, not yours. And finally, if you're writing material that you feel ashamed of, it's probably better to change the material than to change your name.

"I don't want my relatives/friends/coworkers to know that I'm writing about them." A pseudonym won't protect you from the legal repercussions of writing about other people -- e.g., from charges of slander or libel. Rather than disguise your own identity, it would be wiser to thoroughly disguise the identities of your subjects, so that no one will think you are writing about "them" in the first place.

"No one will respect me because I'm a ------ (fill in the blank)." The days of having to write under a male pseudonym simply because you're a woman are long past. Today, there is no need to call yourself "Georges Sand" when "Aurore Dupin" will do just as well. Nor, theoretically, should you feel it necessary to conceal your race, ethnicity, or culture behind a pseudonym. However, your own experience may be the best determinant in this regard.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Re: Interesting article

Post by Zondrae » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 am

Bob,

History has shown that (in general) there are subjects that are gender specific. Perhaps not so much these days but do you think that there woud have been a Jamie Oliver to hundred years ago? In this case he would be, more or less, forced to use a feminine name to sell his books. There have been many instances when writers have used opposite gender pen names and done well with their writing under the other name.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:45 am

I think nowadays publishers require their authors to promote their books, so someone trying to hide their identity/gender etc won't last very long.
It seems it is very hard to hide forever- just ask Nikki Gemmell (The Bride Stripped Bare). IMHO much better, as the article says, to write something you don't have to hide about.
On the other hand, some authors use different names for their different genres- eg Emily Rodda/Jennifer Rowe, and it seems the public accept that is a valid reason for a pseudonym (especially in romantic fiction!).
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 am

Pleeese note ladies. Gender..Grammatical classification. OED.
Sex..being male or female. OED.

I think pen names are usually totally unnecessary. Except maybe for satirical reasons, like John Clarke writing as Fred Dagg.

That is an interesting article Bob.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 am

So by writing under my dogs name people will think I am a bit of a bitch :lol: :lol: :lol: bugger :cry:

They must be barking mad

Cheers

Maureen aka Mahalia and sometimes aka Khadizia
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 pm

I started looking because i noticed that Croc ( C )

Posted a poem and i was intreagued to find out if you can copyright to a nickname or pen name ????

Bob

Yes Nev very interesting article and subject.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 am

So Henry's a shiela? :shock: Yeah for years I thought Evelyn Waugh was Mark and Tugga's Mum :roll:

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:14 am

Pleeese note ladies. Gender..Grammatical classification. OED.
Sex..being male or female. OED.
I stand corrected Neville. However, in my defence I will say that the Macquarie allows it as colloq. And I know MD is not OED, but language is an evolving thing, and once it makes MD, even colloquially, full acceptance is probably only a matter of time.
I had many a discussion on usage with the young cadets and journos while I was working for the local paper, and they convinced me to abandon some of my long-held biases, eg when I was a student, data was always plural (singular datum). Now even the Sydney Morning Herald says the data shows something or other.
Another of my favourites is different from. I still can't write different too , but I accept that people who do are no longer considered wrong.
Still, I shall revert to the correct usage of gender/sex, as pointed out in your post, as I hate being wrong (just ask my husband!) :!:
Thanks. :) :)
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 am

Morning Neville,

You, Sir, being a teacher should know this type of thing. Where as I, a mere intermediate Level educated home body, will probably continue to use either depending on my mood of the moment.

I also think that the context in which I have used 'gender' is correct.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Sorry to be a pain ladies. :roll: I am one of those who fight the forlorn and losing battle against the post-modernist, politically correct brigade's hi-jacking of language, from precise meanings into connotation words. i.e. words which mean anything you want them to mean according to your political agenda .

I think you are right Robyn, language is forever changing and usage will determine what is accepted. Pity, ....we lose some precision along the way, sometimes.

p.s. I'm not a teacher Zondrae. Just an opiniated old.......... :o
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.