try this

ABPA members can discuss their public performances here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Zondrae

Re: try this

Post by Zondrae » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Hully,

That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to give it a try. Doing it the other way does tend to emphasise the opening and I (and every one I've ever seen stall) always get stuck (if we're going to get stuck) somewhere in the middle. I'm willing to try anything to improve my stage work.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Post by keats » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:01 am

Firstly I think you may have been referring to Murray Hartin and not Harden. Everybody has their own recipe to memorise poems. Personally, mine is to spend time crafting the story in my head before I even pick up a bit of paper. Then you know where you are going with the story. Very important. Then do not rhyme for the sake of rhyming but leave memorable words which both add to the picyure writing as well as leave hints as to where you are going by your rhymes. Some of my poems have never made it to paper but I perform them regularly as I am so familiar with the story and the structure because I wrote it. So basically, get to know your poem personally and inside out AS you are writing it, not after you have written it.

Performers are not naturals in most aspects, but work very hard at organising themselves and their works. They also seperate their writing into performance and non-performance works. I have many a poem that will never see a stage even though I am very proud of the work. I just know it won't be an entertaining piece of work for the stage and so keep it for my next book.

And one last thing. Try not to write your poetry on a computer. It's ok for the final draft but pencil and paper are still the preferred tools of the top poets I know, as you can scribble fast to keep up with your brain, circle words you are not sure on, draw big arrows to where something seems missing or would be better placed elsewhere or if you are like me, draw giant question marks after most lines! Give it a try and I dare say you'll agree.

Neil McArthur

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am

G'day Neil,

I whole heart-idly agree with the pencil and paper bit. I work with an eraser at the end of the pencil. I bought a pack of those old fashioned pointy type of eraser that slips over. I have worn out quite a few. Also there poems which have had the one line rubbed out and rewritten until I've gone through the paper. My choice of pencil is a 2B. There was no hesitation it had to be 2B. (no asking 2B or not 2B) This blend is soft enough to erase completely but still dark enough to write easily. I really avoid HB too hard. I also prefer an exercise book over loose sheets of paper. They stay tidy and don't flutter about or get lost too easily. You know those hard won words are 'safe' til you have time to type them up.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

warooa

Post by warooa » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:49 am

Yes very pertinent point about writing, not typing. Something that I can't remember being touched upon amidst all the tips and tutorials. There's a certain soul . . a real connection with the flow of pencil lead or ink. I love looking at some of my drafts with all the scratchings, arrows, sideways scribbles and just general mayhem. But the bare bones of the evolution of whatever I've written is there amongst food or drink spills, dog ears and illegibility to others.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Marty,

I left a 'scribbling' book of mine at a venue. The bloke who returned it was a rough looking type and looked like he could do with a long bath. When I thanked him most profusely he said "well I know how it would feel to lose your precious words." I asked him if he had been reading the unfinished work. He said, "Nah it would be like looking in someones bedroom window" Now there is a poet! (at heart if not on the surface) Now why haven't I made a poem of this? mm i'll get back to you shortly.

Now what was his name? Trev? or was it Reg..
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:38 pm

A very interesting subject we've hit upon now.
I prefer to use my computer.
I learnt to touch type when I was fifteen years old just to win a bet. (Too long a yarn that one!)
When writing a poem I prefer to be able to type and re-type line after line without deleting any until I settle on the words that I prefer to use. That's better than trying to remember what I just deleted.
I also use color to remind me of a good idea or one that might not be so good.

One of the worst things you can do when learning a poem for performance is to learn from the first verse and follow on in the order of the poem.
Invariably you become too familiar with the 'front' of a poem and have difficulty with the 'end', or even the body of the poem.
One of the best ways is to take the first couple of verses with you as a note when you go away for the day. No more, otherwise you are tempted to go too far.
On the second day take the next two or three verses and forget about the first two.
Do this until you get to the end of the poem, or start with the last verse and learn them in reverse order. (not backwards)
The most important thing is to 'know' the story before you know the poem.
When you can tell it as a yarn it won't take so long to learn.

Joe

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Good tips Joe,

It is true you should know the story line. Then you have an idea .. what somes next. Sometimes (only with original stuff) if you should forget the exact words you can 'wing it'. But then this makes for a lazy student and bad habits. Soon you may find you do this with other peoples work. In competition, if it is a well known piece, chances are your judge knows it off by heart and spots the 'fluff'. The term 'copyright' means just that .. copy right!. In any case if a poem is good enough to learn and perform.. it should be shown the respect of learning it word for word. (that's what I think anyway) I usually do all original works.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:17 pm

The best way I have found is to put yourself under pressure by saying that you will perform for some charity. then you are committed and can not back out. Never worry about forgeting the lines I've seen the best go blank.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm

G'day all,

Did I mention that Wayne bought me an 'iPod Touch' for my birthday. It is the size of a medium sized mobile phone. This means for most people it fits comfortably in your hand. You can down load your poems from your computer. I have tried at a small venue, using this as a prompt, so that I would not forget my words. I found that I was looking at it even when I didn't need it, because I knew it was in my hand, with the poem displayed. If I had it in my pocket, just in case it would be better.

And yes, I too have seen many polished performer forget their words, or even start the wrong stanza and have to go back. It does break the 'mood' but we are all only human.
Zondrae King
a woman of words