Onair NOW

ABPA members can discuss their public performances here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Leonie

Re: Onair NOW

Post by Leonie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 am

Ok I wasn't going to buy into this one but in the end I can't help myself.

Keats asks why not get Jack Drake on the radio to talk about bush poetry. Well sadly probably because Joe Public has never heard of Jack Drake but has heard of Jack Thompson. Love him or hate him, he is a celebrity and having a celebrity pushing your cause gets more attention. No doubt Jack Drake is a celebrity among bush poets, but we want our membership to grow and just preaching to the converted won't do it.

Also I seriously doubt that promoting poetry adds much to any celebrity's financial and celebrity status, especially if it's true that most poets and poetry fans are against their participation. Poets I can understand, but poetry fans? Then who is buying the albums?

Ok, off my soapbox now.

keats

Post by keats » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

So do we get Jimmy Barnes on air to speak about Australian Country Music to the uninitiated because he is a big name? Will that attract the rock fans to country music?

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 am

It might, he wouldn't be the first rock singer to cross over into country music and vice versa for that matter.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:36 am

mm,

stranger things have happened.

It is my thought that well spoken Bush Poetry is a delight to listen to and if he can cause just a handful of people to recognise that they like rhymed verse, then it is a good thing.
I'm sure the organisers of the recent Bourke and Wills Book, featuring both poetry and yarns, are more than delighted that they have his name on the cover. His endorsement will have sold many more books than the mention of any or all of the ABPA members who were fortunate enough to have poems included.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

keats

Post by keats » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 am

Yes Marty, and will people see them at any of the major Festivals and Bush Poets Breakfasts and events? NO!

keats

Post by keats » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Here here Marty! Well said. Last word, no he is not a member and had never heard of us and has no plans for another CD at present as he used up all the poems he could think of. (says a bit! lol)

And now I lay me down to rest, and this topic as well.
Thanks mate and cheers.