WISH ME LUCK

ABPA members can discuss their public performances here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
mummsie

WISH ME LUCK

Post by mummsie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 pm

This tuesday, I have been invited to entertain the residents of our local aged persons hostel, with recitations of my poetry. I have no experience in this field other than a few recitals at our local toastmasters meetings [where I get to watch and enjoy Peely perform]. I've been set aside one hour, quiet daunting when you've never done this before. I will be supported by a local lady[Trish Matthews] who has won a few awards locally for her poetry. So I've sorted out the material I think most suited to this age bracket [thankfully the aged seem to still have a healthy respect for Bush Poetry] and I will give it my best shot. Wish me well, and any tips will be greatly appreciated.

SUE
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: WISH ME LUCK

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Wonderful Sue - good on you. Tips...Have fun, smile and be yourself - that will do it.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Good luck Sue. I have great admiration for anyone who has the guts to stand up and recite. Hope it all goes well for you. You will have a ball.

Heather :)

william williams

Post by william williams » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:36 pm

HI SUE the best of luck relax and enjoy and be your self

bill the old battler

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Wow Sue,

If you have watched Peely enough you will have learned plenty. You know what a quiet lad he is normally, so the 'on stage' persona is a practised and determined skill. Providing you set out to enjoy yourself and don't let yourself get rattled you'll do fine.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the support and advice everyone. My goal is to try and recite from memory, not read, so practice, practice, practice.
Yes Zondrae, Peely is one of the best. I love watching him perform, he knows how to bring the words to life. :) :)
Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Sue you have made the first step to a good performance by finding out a little about your audience. You will be amazed at how quickly the time goes when you get started.

Set aside a few little jokes that can help you lead from one poem to the other if required and always try to tell the audience a little about yourself as well as an intro. I find you are better to do this yourself then let a compere. Things like how you became interested in poetry and what got you started.

You will be ok I know.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh and Sue,

You can relax because, being the residents of a serior persons home. They can hardly jump up and run off, can they.

Two of my IBP group, and myself, were invited to entertain at a local residence. called the Diggers Rest. We did the first 1/2 hour of poetry and then the two fellas brought our their guitars and played and sang (then I picked up the ukulele). They didn't want us to finish. I suggested to the blokes that we finish with 'I Still Call Australia Home' and just as we finished the lunch was to be served. The old folk went off singing and asking when we would be back.

We enjoyed it as much as they. Or should I put that the other way round.?
What I am trying to say is - these folk, who don't have much entertainment and don't get out much, will love you. You are doing a fine thing.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Good luck Sue,
But I don't think you really need any, as you have a lot of well written and interesting poems to recite.

Cheers Terry

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm sure you'll be fine Sue. I visit my 84 year old cousin in a nursing home on a pretty regular basis and he often mentions how long the days are in there. I'm sure they look forward to the arrival of the people like yourself who come to entertain them.

I've thought about doing it myself from time to time but for the moment think my time is probably better spent one on one with him. He likes to reminisce about the past and he hasn't got anyone else he can do that with. Actually neither have I, he is the last of the family older than me. I quite enjoy his little trips down memory lane, and I have learned quite a bit about family history that I never knew before.