Australian Bush Laureate Awards 2014

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Stephen Whiteside

Re: Australian Bush Laureate Awards 2014

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Disappointing. Thanks.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 am

Having had a night to reflect on the loss of the 'Children's Poem of the Year' category, I do think it's a real shame it has been taken away.

I had heard rumours that the low numbers of entries made it problematic, and I am rather cursing myself now for not being more proactive about it all.

In fact, with that in mind, I had actually drafted a piece to send to the major children's literature newsletters to publicise the ABLA this year. I went to the web-site to check a couple of details before sending it off, and was shocked to find the category was no longer even mentioned. At first I just assumed it was an oversight - disappointing in itself - but then I was much more disappointed to find the omission was in fact deliberate.

I don't understand why there was not more effort put in to communicating the problem of the low entries, and the possibility of cancelling the category altogether. Was the ABPA involved in these discussions? Did the ABPA pass the concern onto its members? Am I the only ABPA member who cares one way or the other?

I have one foot in the ABPA camp, and one foot in the children's literature camp. I am the only poet who is in this position, at least as far as I know. Perhaps there others in other states. I do think it is frustrating though, that the ABPA, or the bush poetry community in general, shows so little interest in writing for children.

I hear constantly expressions of concern that the next generations are not picking up bush poetry, yet so few bush poets appear to make any real effort to engage children in bush verse.

At least if all involved in writing and performing bush poetry had made a concerted effort to engage the children's writing community (of whom there are plenty that write rhyming verse, but they don't call it bush poetry, and they aren't members of the ABPA), we could say we had done all we could to encourage entries for the 'Children's Poem of the Year'. Alas, that can hardly be said as things stand now.

keats

Post by keats » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:09 am

Stephen, the ABLAs are a commercial venture and run by Max Ellis marketing and Jim Haynes. Unfortunately the ABPA are not involved or have a say.

Cheers

Neil

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:51 am

My understanding is that the ABLA has made a concerted effort to involve the ABPA in its deliberations in recent times. That's certainly what both sides were saying when I attended the Awards Ceremony in 2012.

keats

Post by keats » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Old wounds to be reopened. I don't believe this will ever happened. Most professional poets boycotted entering a few years ago. Basically we need our own I dependant AabPA Awards.

Neil

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm aware that there are issues that various poets have with the ABLA. I don't know much about that, and I don't really want to. My concern is simply for the promotion of rhyming verse or bush verse (call it what you will) for children. There isn't much rhyming verse for children written within the ranks of the ABPA, but there is a fair bit within the broader writing community - it mostly takes the form of picture books - and there are very few avenues to reward writing of that nature. Currently it just takes its chances with the general CBC (Children's Book Council) Awards, which is fair enough, but it seems to me that the Bush Laureate Awards are an ideal vehicle for rewarding rhyme verse written for children specifically - and right now that opportunity is being squandered.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks, Brenda. I’ve spoken to the publisher and yes, Award Winning Bush Verse & Stories 2013 will definitely be nominated for the ‘Collected Verse Book of the Year’ category.

The publisher also said the response to the book has been “very quiet”. This is disappointing as I gave full details on this site (Public Noticeboard) back on August 4, and there was a large advertisement, including Manfred’s endorsement, in the last issue of the ABPA magazine. It’s also advertised in Maureen’s on-line Australia Times Poetry Magazine. So for all those who weren't contributors (contributors received a free copy), I emphasise that this is a book that goes into bookshops and showcases the best bush verse from 2012. How often do we get exposure for contemporary bush poetry like that? If a book like this doesn’t sell within the bush poetry community itself, what chance is there of getting it out into the wider public arena?

In this context I note with interest Vic’s comments in the ‘Something to contemplate’ thread that “we don't have a poet sufficiently talented writing on current issues and problems in a way generally accepted by the public”, someone that “people WANT to listen to”. And I wonder how that’s going to happen. This trail-blazing poetic someone isn’t going to appear and fill the “great void” by magic, not without a solid foundation paving the way. We have to get behind our current writers and support what they’re doing…a lot of well-known bush poetry names, many from this website, are represented in AWBV&S2013.

I’ll put my introduction to the book up in a separate thread in the hope that it might move things along a little. Or at least generate some discussion.

David

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Stephen Whiteside wrote:Having had a night to reflect on the loss of the 'Children's Poem of the Year' category, I do think it's a real shame it has been taken away.
I agree.

Stephen Whiteside wrote:... but then I was much more disappointed to find the omission was in fact deliberate.

I don't understand why there was not more effort put in to communicating the problem of the low entries, and the possibility of cancelling the category altogether. Was the ABPA involved in these discussions? Did the ABPA pass the concern onto its members? Am I the only ABPA member who cares one way or the other?
As I understand it, this was a business decision. And no Stephen, many DO care.

Stephen Whiteside wrote: I have one foot in the ABPA camp, and one foot in the children's literature camp. I am the only poet who is in this position, at least as far as I know. Perhaps there others in other states. I do think it is frustrating though, that the ABPA, or the bush poetry community in general, shows so little interest in writing for children.
We have an ageing demographic so there's a 'natural' atrition already. Folks are tired, just tired.
Sadly, many are locked into a 'competition' mindset and fervently believe that, bigger competitions with more prize money will bring in more people/members. Unfortunatly the 'competition model' is draining resources - financial AND human. A common statement from the ardent festival (competition) vollunteers is, "we're tired". And the dedicated supporters say, "too far to drive". They've been doing it for YEARS and they're getting 'tired'.

Stephen Whiteside wrote: I hear constantly expressions of concern that the next generations are not picking up bush poetry, yet so few bush poets appear to make any real effort to engage children in bush verse.
Many do care and are involved at a school level. I'm currently "Poet in Residence" at two of our local Primary Schools. Many other members are committed and engaged in nurturing the youth.

Stephen Whiteside wrote: I'm aware that there are issues that various poets have with the ABLA. I don't know much about that, and I don't really want to.
And therin lies the problem. The whole issue needs to be understood. The ABLA is a business - for profit!
If we attempt to apply fixes here and there, invariably they have little connection to the 'whole' issue. Many of us have a narrow focus and it's easy to become entrenched in our 'niches' or comfort zones.
We need to change from the competition 'model'. It's NOT adding to our growth and is in fact letting us down.

We also need to acknowledge Excellence within our craft! That means OUR OWN awards.

If we can't celebrate each other's excellence, we will have nothing to share, so how can we expect others to take part in our celebration?

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:14 pm

A few thoughts, Manfred.

I didn't attend the Bush Laureates Awards ceremony this year, but I did attend the year before. There was talk then of the valued input from the ABPA, and I recall that you were asked to speak at the ceremony on behalf of the ABPA. Is this process continuing, or has it, as keats seems to suggest, fallen away somewhat?

Specifically, did the ABPA have advance notice of the decision to drop the 'Children's Poem of the Year' award? I'm not trying to accuse anybody of anything, but I am trying to get a bit of a handle on the decision making process, and how it all works.

I accept what you say about people caring, and the amount of time some poets spend in schools. I also understand that many people quite legitimately have no interest in writing for children, or are intimidated by the idea. I do feel a certain frustration that more bush poets don't want to write for children, but I also quite understand that's it's not really my business to try to tell anybody what they should or should not write.

I don't know that I'm particularly narrow in my focus or stuck in a 'comfort zone'. I tend to write what I feel best at these days, having spent thirty years or so exploring the various options. The main reason why I don't know - or want to know - about the other aspects of the divide between the ABPA and the ABLA is that firstly, the issues don't concern me directly and, perhaps more importantly, I have friends on both sides of the fence.

I'm interested in your thoughts on how the 'competition model' is working against the broader interests of the ABPA. Do you have another model in mind?

keats

Post by keats » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Stephen, whether you have a foot in both camps is really irrelevant. The ABLA have changed, added, deleted sections constantly over the years. If you are not happy with their offerings, then contact them. Unfortunately, I will bet a dollar to a loaf of bread that they won't listen nor care about our wishes. Been there, done that. They have nothing to do with the ABPA. Never have, never will. Just as this website represents roughly 5% of our Bush Poetry Family. What is posted here is never even seen by the majority. In fact I personally do not not know a professional poet who participates here. And their lack of input both here and in the overall scheme of Competition, including the ABLA should be of great concern to the Association.

Neil