Maldon Folk Festival

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Stephen Whiteside

Maldon Folk Festival

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Just got back from Maldon Folk Festival. Another great weekend. I've been attending every year since 2003, but I'm only a new kid on the block. The festival started in 1974!

It is essentially a music festival, but they have always been supportive of the spoken word, and there are Poets' Breakfasts on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings. There is a Yarn Event on the Saturday afternoon. There used to also be another poetry show on the Sunday afternoon, but that is in a bit of a state of flux at the moment. Basically, the venue closed down, and a suitable alternative has not yet been discovered.

Highlight for me this year was probably meeting Neil Murray, a songwriter I've always been very curious about. He was a member of the Warumpi Band back in the 80s and wrote, among other things, 'My Island Home' - first for the Warumpi's lead singer, George Burarrwanga, and then Christine Anu. Neil has also recorded a spoken word album ("Warning - this album contains no music") and writes a fair bit of poetry, from what I can gather. He read some of it at the Sunday breakfast. It's not rhyming, but it's top stuff - tight, gritty, heartfelt, honest. It's one of the amazing things about a festival like this that songwriter royalty like Murray can happily muck in with a bunch of poets.

Speaking of the festival itself, it appears to be going through hard times, which is a real shame. Crowds were well down last year - in part due to very poor weather - and were being very closely watched this year. I don't know yet what the verdict was. I guess it's a very much more competitive environment these days than it was back in 1974.

I am very aware that the poets are aging, and I don't think we get as many as we used to. That said, the situation is far from critical, and poetry/yarn spinning is only a very small part of the festival anyway. Still, it is a concern to see very few poets steaming up in the wake of those who are leaving. Another decade on and poets could be starting to become a bit thin on the ground. Then again, a lot can happen in ten years.

More to the point, this year's festival was great, once again. I sometimes go into these festivals in a rather jaded and cynical frame of mind, but they always seem to turn me around. I guess that's why we have them!
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au