Malanda Bush Poetry Challenge

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
warooa

Re: Malanda Bush Poetry Challenge

Post by warooa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Heather wrote:You never mentioned crocodiles! I'd have done it to see that! :lol:
I knew you would . . so I didn't mentioned it at the time 8-)

Bob . . I got two poems in the final (must've been slim-pickings them weeks :roll: )and they're both on here somewhere

Marty

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Spent the arvo in Malanda . . . where the street outside the Pub was closed off for wood-chopping and bush poetry (not simultaneously . . the poets surely couldn't compete with the axe-wielders).
Great arvo . . I met Kelly Dixon, renowned bushman, poet and lyricist (probably most famous for that great Slim Dusty song Leave Him in the Longyard). Kelly did a poem he'd just written about the current plight of the dairy farmers (Malanda is dairy country).
In the Bush Poetry Challenge I came second, the winner was big Geoff Mann, he of 'Randy Rooster' and 'Miser from the Isa' fame.
A dozen poets got up and gave it their best . . hope it grows legs and keeps going (not the Randy Rooster :? the comp)

Marty
Last edited by warooa on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Sounds like a good day Marty. Congratulations on your place.

Warm up there yet? Freezing cold here and raining and miserable. Kinda wishing I was elsewhere.

Heather :)

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:42 pm

It was a bit chilly up on the Tablelands, and some drizzle but still probably low twentys - I reckon them Richmond boys felt the heat in Cairns yesterday. Getting done by the Suns. I bet they were 'kinda wishing they were elsewhere' too . . . like the MCG. :P

Great Weekend

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Good on ya Marty. It's great when you can get a bunch of poets together for a somewhat informal if organised gathering.

What was second prize ??? A Car Perhaps or a croc skin coat ???

Bob

Sweating here at the moment. Beautiful day on the golf course glad I got back into it.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

warooa

Post by warooa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 am

So you didn't get too stuck at the 19th? :D

2nd prize was a stubby cooler, hat and 50 bucks. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 am

Congratulations,

You are right. any award is great to have. I'm sure your performance was worthy.
Hope you thought to give the ABPA a plug. We had agood crowd at Dapto. Four poets and good poetry, both original and classic. Terry Regan and Graeme Johnson both sold lots of 'product'.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Goodonya Marty. Your turn to shout :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Congrats mate, I know the stubbie holder wont go astray & I bet the 50 went into a certain someones purse :lol:

See you Wednesday mate.

warooa

Post by warooa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 am

Yes and remiss of me to mention that I also met Veronica Weal at Malanda, who along with Mark Both (and the crowd) judged the event.