Deleted

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
David J Delaney

Deleted

Post by David J Delaney » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Deleted for comp.
Last edited by David J Delaney on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zondrae

Re: Medically Unfit

Post by Zondrae » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 am

G'day Dave,

It may well have been a blow at the time but better be labelled unfit than be sent to Vietnam. All the Vets (except for one, who is a well known poet) I know, our age, are really stuffed up from that theatre of war. It would be a little different if it had been a world war. But Like the current war, it is not always clear to us, just what our men are fighting for.

Regarding the more technical aspects of the poem you have wandered just a little with your rhymes. Just for one example in st.3 you are using assonance not rhyme. Your story line, as I have come to expect, is well told. You certainly have the 'yarn spinner' in your blood. While I may not always reply, be assured, I read every post.

Have I ever mentioned that someone, and I have never found out who, filled in and sent to the board, a registration form for National Service in my name. When I received a letter stating that they would advise me when to report for my medical I didn't know what to do. I guess my name is not obviously gender specific. I cleared it up with a phone call and never heard any more about it.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 am

Thank you Zondrae I can see that now.

I was looking forward to 'signing up' as family members were all in the services plus some mates were signing up as well, but that was then & I so respect anyone who has & is still serving.

Thanks again for your comments Zondrae, always welcomed. :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:03 pm

You pay them all great honour in your writing Dave - be happy with that, and proud that you can spread the word and touch so many peoples hearts as you do.. This perhaps was your purpose in life - your raison d'etre - maybe not clear to you but exactly what was required of you.

Life throws curved balls all the time, we usually manage to catch them - and this is a great poem

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Thank you Maureen, soon as I get some time I'll work on the stanza Zongrae mentioned.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm

It seems a strange paradox at times Dave, that one has to be of perfect health in order to go and get killed.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks Neville, it does, dosen't it. :D

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm

G/day David,
I was one of those who just missed out, luck or bad luck I've never been sure which. or born at the right or wrong time or something.

Good one mate - Terry

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:38 am

further to my brush with National Service Board - related above,

My husband, who is one year younger then I am, had the bad luck of having his birth date drawn out. However, as the law stood, married men were exempt for National Service. He was still 19 when we were married so he registered as soon as he was eligible and sent a copt of our marriage certificate with the registration form. No worries.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 am

It's a strange world.....when I did my medical for Nasho there was a bloke with me who had a scar right around the lower part of his forearm. Seems he was in an accident and got his lower arm almost severed. The doctors managed to re-attach the lower arm and it recovered usage but it was less than perfect, you might say.

Guess what?

They passed him fit! :shock:

When we got to Singleton the army medicos gave him his farewell papers fairly smartly.

That was a good joke played on Zondrae...ha ha ha :)

Mal
Preserve the Culture!