THE CALL OF THE OUTBACK

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: THE CALL OF THE OUTBACK

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 pm

I must have missed this when you posted it Terry with all the kerfuffle on the site. It made me long for the country again I can tell you - you have captured that feeling so well. This is a wonderful poem Mate and much enjoyed . Thank you

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks Maureen,
I'm a bit like you, I pop in for a few minutes read a couple then pop out again, the only trouble is I'm not sure just what I've read.

Cheers Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:27 pm

G'day Terry. You're quite right. I still feel the urge to go back to the open spaces out at Bourke, if only for a visit.

Please be assured that "quietly" can be used as two syllables.
Poetic metre is not a scientific mathematical formula. Some would use it as three syllables. I reckon either will do , depending on the context of the extablished metre.

You have a great feel and knowledge of the open spaces. I would encourage you, next time you do a poem along these lines ( I know you will ) try and put in a lot of vivid word pictures so that we can see what you see out there. Don't just tell us , show us. Show us what " miles of nothingness" looks like. And the " changing country " how does that change, us townies don't know.

I am looking forward to your work on the Pinnacles, that's an excellent choice of subject matter. I went there back in 1991 , on a rainy day.

Neville.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 pm

G/Day Neville,
You raise a very good point here, when you're so familiar with an area you do tend to forget that many people have little or no idea of certain things that you see more or less daily. I know I sometimes have this feeling when I'm writing, of perhaps I'm over stating the obvious and it might seem you are telling a prospective reader what he probably already knows. I think this come from the fact that a lot of people that you do know are familiar with what you're describing and you sort of lump everybody together as though they all share this same knowledge, which of course they don't. Another thing I find myself somewhat shackled by is because of my great love of the country I try to write about I sort of feel guilty, if I in anyway exaggerate to any great extent. I realize you aren't suggesting this but simply suggesting I be a bit more expansive in my description, But I'm sure you understand what I mean. But as I said before I do understand what you're saying and will take your suggestion on board, As I think you know I'm always open to and really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. I have a very descriptive poem sort of underway - it's early days - along with several other that I flit back and forth to, the Pinnacles one is one of them.

Cheers Terry

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

G'day Terry...
Like you I'm finding it hard to catch up with the postings, as you can see. I enjoy your posts on whatever topic, but especially ones like this that speak to your oneness with 'wilderness'.
Great read mate.

Just a thought regarding your note about the syllable count of "quietly"....maybe consider "softly" ?

Cheers, Will.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 pm

G/day Will,
Thanks for the comment mate, I think I might have used 'softly' in an early version of this, if so I don't know why I changed it.
I always appreciate your suggestions Will and they're always helpful.
Cheers Terry