WALTZING MATILDA TO SLEEP

For sharing of original song lyrics, together with haiku, sonnets and other unusual poetry forms. Although not strictly bush poetry, we welcome the sharing of members' compositions in these three genres, with a view to inclusiveness and mutual encouragement. Open to all Registered Forum Users. See Board Index for separate section on free verse and non-rhyming poetry.
Peely

Re: WALTZING MATILDA TO SLEEP

Post by Peely » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm glad you like it Wazza

I'm guessing that you were a dad that sang or danced his kids to sleep

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

keats

Post by keats » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 am

Good one Peely, just can't quite workout where the screaming guitar riff and drum solo go, but I'll help you refine those bits at production. Maybe Jimmy Barnes on vocals? It's all falling not place. No Wobble Board though!

Neil

Duncan Williams

Post by Duncan Williams » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Don't agree with this one john. Matilda is some what of a old fashion swag , not a little girl with modern electric nightmares, their must be something wrong with this child mate, but people write and record anything for fortune and fame these days.

Duncan.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Brilliant John!!! Beautifully written and I think one of the best things I have read in years. This is a winner and a poem that will become a classic (if not a classic song!)

Peely

Post by Peely » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks Neil

I was thinking that it would need a death metal/thrash sort of backing - I'm not sure how Jimmy goes in that area, but we could give him a go.

Thank you for your thoughts Duncan, you are entitled to your opinion

I'm not sure where you get the modern electric nightmares from - in fact what I have written could be set in almost any era. People have always suffered from nightmares. I am fully aware of what the historic references to a 'Matilda' from Paterson's era are - I don't need a history lesson on that. Times move on and things change, like it or not.

Thank you Vic

I received the news today that my musician friend has the first draft of the music for the first verse completed - I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

Regards

John Peel

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:50 am

G'day John,
While a swag has been called a Matilda on occasion, it is more common as a girls name now and in the past....in fact my mother's mother was Matilda..(Tilly for short)...I like the poem ...(or song)
Ross

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 am

Has to be a waltz tune John!!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 pm

G'day John,

I'm sure Matilda and her Mum and Dad will love it too. Maybe I'll revisit my 'Matilda's Waltz' soon.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Not sure what you are referring to there Duncan ? Matilda has been used as a girls name for years and I thought that Johns use of the Waltzing Matilda theme was quite clever.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Thank you Ross

I'm glad you like it.

G'day Vic

The way it is written it should translate pretty easily to waltz time. I'm sure that it will be a waltz.

G'day Zondrae

I reckon they will too and as I mentioned on Facebook, you should keep working on "Matilda's Waltz" - I'm sure your Matilda will really appreciate it.

Regards

John Peel