What Drives A Poet

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
keats

Re: What Drives A Poet

Post by keats » Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Why couldn't I have said it like that, Irene? lol Thanks

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Beat me to it Marty.

Duh!! It's cause you are a man! :lol:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

I thought Neil did quite well explaining himself. I understood every word and I'm a man too, at least the last time I looked I
oops can't say that.

Bobbit
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you Irene for your remarks and I apologize for my poor usage of words. I do heartily endorse Neil’s ability and others of his standard. Sorry mate in no way will I degrade your way and your performances.

And I commend you Irene over in WA for your allowance of Read performances. But here in the East coast it is quite noticeable in the lack of allowances for Read works to be preformed.

EG. In all competitions that I have thought of going to compete in there is this statement in the conditions

In a performance competition Points will be deducted for Performances read.

This is what has decided me to not frequent many functions. To me this is very discriminatory which is why I believe people like myself stay away. It is like taking a little lad into a lolly shop where he can gaze at the jars of lollies knowing full well he can look but don’t touch.

In other words you can go but you cannot participate. Fair is fair and I agree except let us get a reasonable chance instead of B A chances

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Sharpening the knives. Sharpening the knives. :twisted:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who says you do not have a sense of humour.

You are joking hey ???

Run Bob Run.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Who said I didn't have a sense of humour? Point me in their direction. sharpening, sharpening..... :twisted:

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I think it was Bill when we were in the corner.

Sorry Bill but I thought you would not mind !!!!

Bob

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Historically there was more memorising done than reading. The itinerant workers/swaggies were for the most part illiterate and tramped from job to job. They would camp beside some water (generally) and there was a campfire protocol that they followed. An individual fire was considered their 'home'. A communal fire was constructed that everyone was required to attend. It was there that everyone was required to present something - poem, story, song.

I've been trying to unearth the article in an old R.M. Williams "Outback" magazine. The article went on to say that many 'swagmen' would be seen practicing their pieces while on the road - even Shakespere. When I locate the article I'll share it

There are many protagonists in our craft from "meticulous writers" to "ridiculous reciters". ALL are valid. In modern days I'd have to say that no-one gave (modern) 'Bush Poetry' a greater shot in the arm than Murray Hartin with "Turbulance". Like it or loath it, what's popular will inject life (and hopefully longetivity) into our Passion. Popular (professional) performance poetry gets BUMS ON SEATS!

The competitions that we've come to rely on for so long appear to be on the wane. We look around and ask, "Where are the kids?" It was also asked "Where are the Women?" Are we a dying breed and is our Culture dying with us?

Well I think it's time to stop scratching around in the ashes of past campfires. Sadly, for many of the illiterate swagmen, their poetic treasures died with them. It's a rapidly changing world now with many fads having the use-by-date of a butterfly. Rhyming Bush Poetry is our Culture - NOT a fad. We need to switch on the (battery powered) Coleman to see where we're going or we too will rise without trace.

Sorry about the rant ...

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 09, 2011 10:48 pm

I get the distinct impression that they aren't following the conversation at all Bob! :lol: