Ev-er-y or ev’ry

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
warooa

Re: Ev-er-y or ev’ry

Post by warooa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Yes this can be problematic for poets wanting to maintain true metre. I guess we are just lucky that we live in a country where our respect for the English language we speak is of the highest order and we rarely resort to the afore mentioned truncation of our wordage. This strict adherence to the impeccable deployment of our vernacular is a credit to us all. ;)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Yair, ev'rybody knows that :o
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:02 pm

alongtimegone wrote:I’ve been looking back at comments received on competition entries and thought I’d post some for discussion.

The first is about syllables. In one of my poems I counted every as a three syllable word. The comment on a judge’s sheet was “In speech, ev-er-y is spoken more like
ev-ry.” I agree, and would always write it that way by choice, but I didn’t think the choice was allowed.

Cam-e-ra – three syllables but generally spoken as a two syllable word - cam-ra.
Scen-e-ry a three syllable word but less likely to be shortened to scene-ry.

Wazza
that's all up to the individual judges and their individual ideas on what is and what isn't. Sadly it doesn't take that long these days to advance from first time performer/writer to Judge. Some old hands are being judged by very inexperienced and opinionated judges. Thus the system falls down. Thus Comp wins hold not the stigma and accolades that they did years back. Sad, but a fact. I would not enter 90% of comps these days knowing who the judges are. I would much prefer the public to judge my work for no renumeration.

Que Sers Sera

Neil

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm

G/day Neil
Fortunately many judges are starting to accept the way the poet intended these words to be used.
I'd hate to think a really good poem missed out, because of a contentious interpretation of one of these words.
I've been reluctantly gang pressed (by someone who shall remain nameless- IRENE) into judging a couple of comps.
and always felt out of my depth, so I try to judge to my own limitations (which are too numerous to mention) and where possible
concentrate on what I reckon are the best poems. As long as your rhyme and meter are ok,and your English reasonable,
and you have a pretty good poem, you're in with a very good chance with me.
My biggest fault seems to be that I keep picking Eastern State poets, but give me time.

Cheers Terry
Last edited by Terry on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Neil. In those Poetry Slam events they have members of the public randomly selected from the audiences to do the scoring for performances.

At the ABPA annual meeting one year , Murray Hartin asked if it was possible to assess performance on what he called " entertainment value "
I agreed with him and suggested that the ABPA consider the audience judging method, but no-one took any notice.
Perhaps its not a good idea. I thought at least it was worth considering.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 pm

I would agree Neville. Although not so much on Slam Poetry. I just don't believe that Poetry was made to be 'Slammed'! :lol:

But seriously, I do agree. In fact at the recent Mildura Country Music Poet Walk ups, I would have awarded some who read far many more points than some who 'performed' staunchly and poorly. Some readers were more entertaining in their presentation. I know that doesn't stand up in our Competition Model as such these days, but I 'seen it wif my own eyes 'n ears'!! :)

Neil

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:02 am

Hallelujah ! I thought there were no sane people out there.

Oh not sure about you Keats :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A pet hate of mine seeing people ( and Schoolkids ) so stressed about doing a ( presentation ) right that they forget about the entertainment value.

I always tell visiting kids that the teachers sometimes forget the most important part Have fun Have fun Have Fun.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 pm

The Cervantes Written comp being announced tonight I think, also has a $100 dollar prize for a junior Comp.
That should excite the kids!

Terry