Poetry Reading

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
manfredvijars

Re: Poetry Reading

Post by manfredvijars » Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 am

.... and something needs to change ...

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 19, 2014 1:32 pm

if you have winners or prizes then that is a competition ?

so what are they doing saying well done to all the entrants and giving them a participation ribbon like they do for kids sports ?

Please explain ?

bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Mon May 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Bob et al,

We have a number of new developing poets who are steadily gaining confidence but rather than throw them in with perform or perish rules as some would do, we encourage them to read if they feel they need to on our Sunday morning gatherings. Also, from time to time an accomplished poetry reciter might choose to read a new work of their own or if they have discovered a poem they feel should be aired then that will likely be read as well. I will often read a new work to the group and ask for feedback. The Lady of the Grand, for example, was put through this process and has picked up two HC's. On Sunday morning Paddy O'Brien read a poem he wrote dedicated to his late wife. I amongst others, had to wipe the tears from my eyes.

There is nothing second rate about reading poetry, Bob. It is about the penetration, the ethos, the delivery and development. Yes Bob, it is also about encouragement and satisfaction. Perhaps a little ribbon may unbind a hidden treasure. One final thing Bob, the rules at North Pines Camp Oven are designed for protecting these developing poets from unfair competition from established performance poets and not for restricting them or making them feel like children on a sports day.

I despair at our future. Change or failure is as inevitable as the sunrise. We are a dwindling group. Some have already embraced change as the way forward and others are making brave attempts. The ABPA recognises that we must adapt or perish.

Yours in Poetry

Mal Beveridge
Preserve the Culture!

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Makes tremendous sense to me and probably long overdue! Encouraging people to participate is extremely important.
Bob obviously the reading section if for those who don't yet recite. An accomplished reciter can always recite and then read which is not the point of the exercise.
Manfred couldn't agree more, competitions do little to encourage newcomers and burn up a lot of resources. I may be wrong (I thought I was wrong once, but then found I'd made a mistake) but I reckon in the early days of the resurgence of bush poetry, competitions were probably seen as the only way to create interest and put bums on seats. Frank Daniel and those around at the start of the re birth of the art could probably shed more light on the subject.
My favourite poetry events are the poets breakfasts held at festivals where everyone is welcome and there is no competition nor favouritism. We run the Gosford Bush Poets on this principle and our aim is to encourage everyone to enjoy poetry and we have been going strong for nearly nine years.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm

It's a grand idea Mal and Manfred and congratulations to North Pine for doing it.

A few years back I went to the "arvos", a group of poets who meet in Melbourne one Sunday afternoon a month to either read or recite in a non competitive way - that's right, just for the enjoyment and there's not the pressure of competition or having to perform.

Heather :)

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Right behind you all the way, Mal. I wish you and the group every success.

Cheers
David

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 19, 2014 7:21 pm

I will start by saying I HATE COMPETITIONS Ask Heather .

Mal

We encourage them to read if they feel they need to on our Sunday morning gatherings.

Vic

My favourite poetry events are the poets breakfasts held at festivals where everyone is welcome and there is no competition nor favouritism.

Seems we all like the same thing but I think The North Pine Group need to sell it better.

How you do that I do not know but most festivals have workshops as do some competitions so what makes this event different except for the fact that you have a reading section ? Is it just the offer of a critique ? or that there are a lot more workshops ?

What is going to make me either hop in the car and drive down or fly ( if I win the lotto )

Just asking that's all.

Bob

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Mon May 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Greg North and Glenny Palmer.
Preserve the Culture!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Great performers but I have seen then both numerous times ?

Sorry Glenny I mean seen you perform Shit I'm digging an even bigger hole :lol: :lol: :lol:

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm

We're trying to build up our club - locally first.
We need to find out what interest there may be from a writer-performer perspective, and present a Festival, a real Festival, a FUN Festival.

Look at any of the Folk Festivals around the country. They have workshops, jams and a concerts. And they are FUN!!

We, as a club need to build up our members and we'll do this in two ways, 1. to invite locals (Brisbane and surrounds) to a FUN FESTIVAL to share and to grow. 2. involvement with schools. Keep your eyes posted in the upcoming ABPA Mag for that one.

Our workshops are on, writing, performing and lyrics. For those who feel they would like to enter any competition, we also take people through that process to familiarise them.
If we grow (and I hope we do) we can have workshops on serious and humorous writing and performing, cutting a CD, publishing, marketing our works, getting gigs ... can you see the possibilities???
We want to grow our craft and have to start somewhere, so North Pine are starting here.

Of course we'd welcome support from any 'comfortable' performers and writers to mentor any of the newbies. There will be lots of opportunities to perform-recite.

As a club we've found that competitions drain our resources (human and financial) and they don't increase our membership. No one from Victoria or Western Australia has applied to join North Pine (as yet). Will this work? We have no idea, but we do know that we need to try something different to build at "grass roots" level or you can strike North Pine off your calendars as well. This is a growing exercise, we don't want our clubs to falter.

Everybody can support us simply by attending, doing what you do well and sharing our craft with others to teach them. Yep, EVERYBODY is welcome to attend .... :D