What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
keats

Re: What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Post by keats » Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Maybe schools are no longer the target, unless we want short term estedford type juniors. I am looking more at 20 years and up. Finished with the distractions of puberty. Starting to settle down a bit, beginning to develop a good sense of humour and events happening around them. I think we need to attract them to some of our shows where they can look and say, hey that looks like fun, I reckon I could have a crack at that.

Primary and secondary schools have rarely, if ever produced a long term writer/performer in our comps and festivals. Still a place for it to be taught, but it will not produce new blood which is so badly needing to be injected into Australian Poetry.

Think we have lost the plot of this conversation, and are achieving nothing with stupid comments.

Thread closed. Sadly

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Sat May 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Just before you close it I wanted to say that I think you might be onto something there with the idea of trying to appeal to the 20 somethings rather than the kids. I don't have anything to offer on how to go about that unfortunately but I like the idea. I have been noticing your 'vertical planking' threads popping up on the facebook news feeds and they are very funny, and seem to appeal to a pretty wide audience so you are probably already on the right track.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun May 22, 2011 4:26 am

The things that we considered funny do not always appeal to the middle age group eg 19 up to about 27. All we can do is keep sticking it out there in front of them and hope it sticks for when they come out of what my dad used to call The Phase.

We get a lot of middle age groups camping now with the increase in the number of Camper Trailers and they really seem to enjoy the campfire atmosphere and making their own fun.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun May 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Judgeing by the number of posts on this subject it is a subject of great concern to everyone and really need to be addressed. Even today at the function I attended it was raised.

What to do ? Do we need to ask the kids themselves ?

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Maybe these things go in cycles. Perhaps it will have to skip a generation or two before somebody re-discovers it and decides to re-invent it. Hasn't that happened with bush poetry once already?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:02 am

Some fabulous footage here from Daly River and the whole clip IMO is interesting
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/messagestick/v ... 68&story=1

but really wanted to show the kids from Daly river performing ‘Change the Game’. If you move the video marker along to 21.19mins you will see the Collie Crew performing- Change the Game.

Definitely worth watching – check out the rhyme and rhythm of these young ones – fantastic. Don't know who wrote the lyrics but these kids are enjoying every minute of their performance and they are terrific - totally professional.....could this be the answer??? or at least a step in the right direction.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:32 pm

...would they respond better at age 20 if they had been introduced to it at 10...?
I just worked with grades 4,5,6 & 7 at Theodore & the kids were all most enthusiastic. The teachers were stoked. Sure they'll drift off on their skateboards & barbie dolls....but the doors that have been opened, in more areas than just the spoken word, will serve them well on their life journeys.....and some will return to what contributed to the chosen path...poetry.

nb. I'm hoping to see some of the Theodore kids on our youth forum. The teachers loved that idea, so to those still wrestling with 10 yr olds ( & I understand your desire to up that to the 20 yr olds Neil) remember to urge your class to engage here on our website.

Goodoooo
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm

SHE'S BACK. :o ........welcome stranger. Sounds like you accomplished quite a bit on the trail.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:05 pm

[quote="Glenny Palmer"] I'm hoping to see some of the Theodore kids on our youth forum. /quote]

G'day Glenny . . on the old site the youth section was poems by youngsters - it is now for children and youth. Whether this discourages or encourages them I'm not sure, though I do recall that the poems posted by youth on the old forum where very sparse.

Great for them to be involved any which way and hope they enjoy (as much as you obviously enjoy working with them.)

Cheers, Marty

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:16 pm

G'daaay all of youse.
Glad to be back with like minds (ie nutty ones). :lol: At least we're all thinking on it, which is a start. Just keep chipping away & embrace new suggestions I guess. You seem to be pushing the barrow pretty solidly Bobbity...(?) Goodonyamate.(+ all of youse.)

Helloooo Neville!! It was a longer stretch than I thought at first. I'd do one gig & then get booked for another...2 flaming weeks away, & then again....another 2 weeks, but it was all very worthwhile. Especially the freebie I did for the old folks (all about 5 years older than me...mmmm...) The poor darlings had all been uprooted as their complex is right on the river....cheered them up no end...AND got some home made jam in the bargain.
Theodore is a lovely community & has a crime rating of zero. The Sarge is sick of crossword puzzles I'll bet.
It's bonza to be back.

Cheeers
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.