What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Bob Pacey

Re: What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm

When I was their age we were flat out standing up on both feet ( especially on a Saturday night )

Bloody amazeing stuff and you are right Heather ( see I said It ) the music makes it.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 16, 2011 9:41 pm

I AM RIGHT, aren't I Bob? Did everyone else hear that too?

So, in one night Bobbo has admitted he doesn't remember what to do with a woman any more, that a woman gets the last word, that he is too slow, and that the moderator is ALWAYS right. Progress, progress.. slow, but progress nonetheless..

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Let them think they are in charge Dave it makes life so much easier.

Robert Alan Micheal Pacey ( The Fifth )

warooa

Post by warooa » Tue May 17, 2011 5:44 am

That was a very helpful little 'blather' there Glenny - I was recently 'sounded-out' by my kid's primary school Principal in regards to doing some sort of workshop on bush poetry.
My response was very 'umm . . ahh . . umm' as I would not know how to even begin to go about such a task.
It would be remiss of me not to get involved whilst others are approaching schools and recieving luke-warm responses at best.
Your template ideas are excellent, though these bunch of (great!) bush kids wont be as hard work as a bevy of recalcitrant teenagers.

Thanks,

Marty

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue May 17, 2011 6:26 am

Marty I have done several schools over the last year and have always recieved a good positive response. The high school kids were a bit of a task but the teacher rang me later to say that they had lots to talk about after the session and interest was good. I find that as Glenny said getting them involved is the secret and as shown on the site The Man From Ironbark with the kids playing the parts in dress up is good. They are also interested in seeing things from the olden days such as what a cut throat razor looks like and I have several pictures of old wagons ect.

I find around twenty kids is ideal for what I do as you can get up close and really gauge the reaction and get even those shy kids involved. My first approach came as you would have guessed from my grandson teacher but teachers talk at meetings ect and word is spreading.

Have a go mate it's an adventure.

Bob

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Tue May 17, 2011 10:21 am

We're back off to Theodore today so I'll post this & catch up when I return....in (?) days.

I think this is important enough to address comprehensively. With that thought in mind, perhaps I could ask Manfred if it is worth the ABPA seriously considering sanctioning a series of workshops for presenters? Those of us who are more experienced in conducting these (with credible proven results) could get together with interested poets within cooee of our location, to share & construct a basic formula etc. I would be happy to contribute & even travel to do so if required. Between us all I think we could launch a very credible & worthwhile service to our youth, & subsequently to the expansion of our craft.

Anyway....a certain scaly object is blowing the horn in the car, so it looks like I'm about to depart....in my dressing gown no less.

Cheeers all...be good...or Zondrae will get ya!

Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

keats

Post by keats » Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Maybe schools are no longer the target, unless we want short term estedford type juniors. I am looking more at 20 years and up. Finished with the distractions of puberty. Starting to settle down a bit, beginning to develop a good sense of humour and events happening around them. I think we need to attract them to some of our shows where they can look and say, hey that looks like fun, I reckon I could have a crack at that.

Primary and secondary schools have rarely, if ever produced a long term writer/performer in our comps and festivals. Still a place for it to be taught, but it will not produce new blood which is so badly needing to be injected into Australian Poetry.

Just another thought on the subject. Hey Marty P.??? Marty P. Marty P.???!! lol

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu May 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Plank you very much Neil.

Bob

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Maybe Plank Poetry could be the go - sounds stupid enough to appeal to teenage brains :lol: :lol: :lol: or even Plank Verse - better still
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri May 20, 2011 2:04 am

Plank Verse :lol: Good one Maureen.

But what rhymes with planker?? :roll:

They don't call'em Generation Why?? for nuthin

Marty