What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Peely

Re: What's Happening To Our Young Poets?

Post by Peely » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:40 am

G'day All

Speaking as someone who became interested in bush poetry as a school student, it has been interesting to see what has been coming up in discussion.

Back in my primary school days, I had a teacher who was very enthusiastic when it came to poetry. My class regularly read and learnt to recite poems with this teacher. He used a mix of different rhyming poetry: some English poetry such as "Tarantella" and "The Wind in a Frolic" (Howitt); traditional Australian bush poetry from the likes of CJ Dennis, Banjo Paterson etc; and contemporary children's poetry by Doug Macleod.

At the time, it was probably the contemporary poems of Doug Macleod that I enjoyed the most. My whole class learnt to recite his poem, "Granny Appleby", an entertaining poem about a grandmother who goes shopping for birdseed that encounters a rude shop manager that insults her and she gets revenge by destroying the shop with her gang of granny bikies. The poem finishes with a great twist as well (basically the same poem was originally published as "Sister Stephanie" with the main character as a nun instead). Doug Macleods poems generally had a good amount of humour and many had interesting twists as well - good stuff as far as keeping children entertained. If I am performing in front of an audience with a good number of children, I will do "Granny Appleby" for them.

As for the traditional poems, the CJ Dennis poems were mainly the ones that he'd written for children ("The Triantiwantigongalope", "Hist"). With Banjo it included his humorous poems ("A Bush Christening" and "Mulga Bill's Bicycle"). Later in the year, when the class had gained an appreciation of poetry, we learnt "The Man from Snowy River". As I see it, if children are learning about Australian history some of these poems would be a great tool to help in their understanding of the past.

To summarise what I have said, for children to enjoy bush poetry, you need: an enthusiastic teacher; and good contemporary poetry mixed in with some of the traditional poems.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Amazing how many times I have heard people say that their interest in poetry was due to
"a teacher they had who liked poetry and introduced them to Banjo Paterson and/or similar poems at school!"
In my case it was Mr Cooley in primary school who would read us a poem as a special treat on Friday afternoons (and who would you believe was an ex professional wrestler) who kindled my love of poetry.
I have heard the remark so often that I really think this means that if children are exposed to good old fashioned ballads and galloping rhyme they are very likely to become interested in at least reading or listening to poetry.
On a number of occasions I have had teachers tell me, after they had attended a poet's breakfast, they were going to do their best to introduce their students to the joys of Banjo's poetry!
Seems poetry, at least Australian Bush poetry is no longer taught in schools and there I dare say is the nub of the problem.
Remember someone telling me they had asked a class of school children if they had heard of Banjo Paterson or Henry Lawson. Apparently one lone hand was raised and the boy admitted to having heard of Henry Lawson but didn't know who he was!
I do not agree however that we should intentionally dumb down our presentations to children. The very beauty of our old masters is that they wrote in a language everyone understood and enjoyed. I think all that is required to ensure that children appreciate the work's of our best poets is to initially select the appropriate material and move on from there once we have built some rapport with the audience.
Never met a school aged child yet who didn't understand and enjoy "Mulga Bill's Bicycle" or "The Bush Christening."

Vic Jefferies

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

My bit,

I recall in fourth class upon receiving the 'school magazine' I opened it to find the CJ Dennis poem that begins

"Hist, Hark the night is very dark.."

Now, I didn't remember that it was CJ but I have remembered those words for .. over 50 years.
My next brush with poetry was at highschool when we were obliged to memorise TMFSR and "Outback" H Lawson. I don't remember enjoying any of this and today I know bits and pieces of each but not the whole poem.

And then I met two gentlemen at a poets breakfast, and the rest is.....

Thank you Vic and Barry.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Neville I'd be curious to know how many children attended your workshop? Was it held at a school or a library?

I agree with so many things already said:
-Poetry is considered a very not cool thing for kids to be involved in.
-It is very scary for an adult to get up and speak publically or perform, let alone a child. It's a pretty special kid who can do that alone. Kids like to get up in groups - there is safety in numbers.
-Poetry for kids should be fun. They like books with gooey, silly, gorey, over the top, slightly rude things.
-Poetry should be relevant to children.

Why not run workshops at festivals for kids instead of competitions.
Have poetry recitals at festivals just for kids.

I agree with Kym that you need to get their interest and make it fun and they will come over to the serious poetry when they are older.

Lobby the schools, libraries and education sector.

I studied English literature at high school in year 11 and 12 and I know we studied some poetry (not bush poetry)- and I don't remember a thing about it - because it was BORING!

I do remember listening to records as a kid of The Sentimental Bloke, and Said Hanrahan. They stuck with me (along with Rolf Harris singing Six White Boomers, The Seekers and The Nutcracker Suite!)

Heather :)

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Nothing much to add, except that obviously Ipswich is doing something right. Their Poetry Feast competition attracted over 1200 entries, more than 900 of which were from school children. That suggests kids are interested in poetry. The only difference I could see was that they didn't stipulate it had to be 'bush' poetry, unless of course they chose that particular category. It would be interesting to know the statistics for that category as against the other cagegories. Might see if I can find out.

Kym

Post by Kym » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 am

LEONIE YOU'RE BACK!!!!! We've been missing you. I was just about to post a new topic called "Where's Leonie" ... but I don't have to now. Glad to see you made it through the floods! Sorry for the distraction everyone, as you were. Now back to children and poetry ...

Martyboy, did the Goodies really say that??? Hmmm, I wonder. But yes, I agree. But I also think it's good for kids to gain that confidence, speaking in front of an audience at an early age (before they realise it's scary). Each Friday morning, our little school had a parade, where every grade came and every child participated in some stage activity (poem, skit, singing, showing class projects, etc). Every kid was included, all the kids were accepting of the idea, encouraging towards each other and were comfortable and confident with it. It was wonderful to watch.

Heather, you are right, there is safety in numbers and perhaps if you can get a group of kids to perform, it might just make one or two of them aware that they really do like that sort of stuff.

Perhaps "bush" poetry scares people off, especially townies. Like Zondrae says, "rhymed poetry" might be the way to go, sounds a bit less "corn-fed".

:roll:

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:11 am

G'day all,

Lorraine McCrimmon offered a 'Poetry for Kids' workshop at the National a few years back and had very little interest.. Then right in the middle of it, the man who makes balloon animals started sprooking his act outside the tent and the kids what were there, wandered off. She was a little upset at his lack of professional courtesy but didn't make a fuss.

Maybe next time she could find a really grusome poem and advertise the workshop as "Find out just Who put Granny through the mincer." or something.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:11 pm

My kids went to a very small primary school (less that 100 students) and that school was very good at encouraging the kids to get up and have a go and encouraged leadership qualities. At the end of each year they held a concert where every student got up on stage and participated in their class groups. Over time I saw those kids become very confident young people. My eldest daughter got up on stage in front of thousands at an event when the Olympic torch came through Seymour and recited a poem and did it perfectly - she was about 11 at the time. My three daughters have performed in the local theatrical group and/or in school plays. Apart from their own natural talents I put their confidence down to the way the primary school fostered their abilities.

Leonie has shown that kids in Ipswich are interested in poetry - but written comptetions rather than performance.

Looks like it comes back to the schools and parents every time.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Heather, my little project was at the Council library. There were 11 children, 10 girls , 1 boy,
We had decided to limit the numbers to a manageable size, we had over twenty applicants, but 11 was just enough for an old codger like me to handle without running from the room screaming.
I think it's an important point that you have raised Heather, that of the venue.
Mine was not a competition it was a workshop. Being at the library I guess it appealed to the book reading brigade. Those bumming around the streets on their BMX s wouldn't have even known about it.

I was going to suggest to our local bush poets group that we offer a substantial prize to the high school students for a written comp and see what came of that. Haven't got that off the ground yet.

You had an event at..Seymour....that was attended by thousands....are you sure you didn't count a few twice :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Neville I think 20 children shows an incredible interest and you are right - you need to find the right audience and where better than the local library. I know our local libraries run reading sessions for children. It needs to be fun for the kids.

The Olympic torch event in Seymour was HUGE Neville. I think it was the only town in the shire that the torch came to and all the district schools participated so of course all the parents came along too.