Can bush poetry survive?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Leonie

Re: Can bush poetry survive?

Post by Leonie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:09 pm

That's a good point Stephen, about there not being a rhyming assoc. so that's why we hang around with bush poets. Couldn't have put it better myself and yeah I agree that's not the only reason, it's because they are pretty nice people too in the main.

I'll leave it alone now Mr. Policeman, Sir, I promise. :mrgreen: I probably should have zipped it, after all the letter was addressed Dear David, not Dear Leonie, but you know us women, hard to shut us up. :lol:
It's just that continually being reminded that in one person's opinion this poem didn't deserve to be awarded kind of takes the shine off a bit.

But ... I have just heard that I have picked up a first prize in another bush comp so that has restored the shine somewhat. :D I was so excited I forgot to ask which poem won. :? :D Funny if it's this one.

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Leonie, I know all too well how you're feeling. I have copped a lot of flack about some of my wins and/or placings over the years. One fellow even went to a newspaper to whinge (unbeknown to me at the time) and the paper contacted me and spoke to me and wrote a story about my win - which I thought was great ... until I read the article! They totally smacked me down and humiliated me about my "non-bush" poem winning the comp! The interview man gave me no indication that they were going to bad-mouth me and my writing. I was sooooo upset, but time heals all wounds I guess.

There will always be someone out there who wants to rattle your cage (or mine). I just figure if I don't bite, they'll get bored with me and move on? I know how vulnerable you feel, and I understand that discussions such as this can definitely scare newbies away from attempting to write or join the bush poetry circle. When I first stepped into the poetry world, I found everyone very friendly and welcoming. I have seen a decline in this welcomingness, which is very unfortunate. I just wish everyone could "play nice" like they did years ago. :cry:

Please don't give up. I LOVE your poetry - more than a lot of the poems that win comps. You have a fresh, cheeky approach, and I find myself giggling as I read your poems. Stick with us Leonie, **I** for one, absolutely adore your writing!

;)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:36 pm

G'day Leonie,

*** what she said plus more.

Not only have you the gift of writing very special poems but you have passed the gene to your son.
So..poo-poo to the negative people. I have had some snide remarks directed at me about writing R&M verse, with or without a 'bush' theme. I still say 'different strokes for different folks'. I guess the knockers must be better writers and win more competitions than we (mostly Kym) do (NOT). and most of my poetry I write for me - not the educated masses.

Now Kym, who was that nasty piece who used to knock all your lovely 'horse' poems! ( :twisted: )
Manfred, do we have an avitar of two hands clapping?
Oh that's right it is Leonie who can do all those fancy things. See not only a great writer but also a computer whiz.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Marty, Leonie, I wasn't rousing. :o
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Zondrae, I was in no way referring to any of your comments about my horse poems. I know that was just friendly banter (wasn't it? :? hahahaaa). :lol:

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Well said, Leonie...stick to your guns, as everyone has been suggesting. For those who might be puzzled by some of the content of Valerie's post, particularly her reference to an email, I should explain that it's a response to an email I sent her back on April 3. It's odd that she has written a public reply to a private email as it means that what she says lacks context and is thus probably confusing in parts. But that's her choice. I won't publish my email as it's pretty long and I've taken up enough space here already.

Anyway, gotta zip (as Kevin says)...time to milk the chooks!

Cheers
David

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Kym and Zondrae, you have no idea how much your support means to me, just be assured it does. Wow Kym, what a nasty piece of work that newspaper journalist was. :shock: Zondrae I'm feeling a bit guilty now. Far from being a computer whiz I just steal emoticons and the like that people send to me in emails. :oops: ... smacks hand. Thanks to both of you and thanks to David too, who is now off milking his chooks.

Neville, no worries mate. I didn't think you were having a shot. It was Marty's comment about 'move on now, nothing to see here' that broke me up. I had this mental image of a keystone type cop waving his baton and moving me on.

Ooh, and at the risk of needing another smack to the hand. I promise this one was free to steal Mr. Policeman, honest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Takes a lot to offend me Kym
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm a bit late - work, new babies, etc etc...

Leonie I'm with you 100%. I love your poetry and it often exhibits the Aussie sense of humour. I'm in much the same boat - I write in rhyme and metre; I'm Australian, I write about what I observe, what affects me, us, you - as did Lawson and Paterson etc in their day. Are Lawson's poems, The Faces in the Street, Hannah, Bertha, Black Bonnet, To Jim, or Henry Kendall's poem Araluen (about his dead baby) any less bush poetry than what we write here today - I don't think so. It's about the Australian "experience".

Val is of course entitled to her opinion, but in the end it always boils down to what we like or don't like - be it bush verse or any other form or writing, music, etc and it's all very personal.

Heather :) :)

Keep smiling, be happy!!! :D

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

Hi Kym,
I actually read that article by accident a while back, I was searching for something under 'Bush Poetry' and up that article popped,
He was quite up tight about it wasn't he.
But that's poetry, some people get very passionate on either side of the argument, in this case as you mentioned, the media made matters worse.
I suppose the only thing that comp organizers could do, would be to make it absolutely clear, just how liberal their entry rules are, I know we go by ABPA Rules but even they seem to be misunderstood by some, then if anyone is not happy about the rules of a certain comp. don't enter it.
Speaking for myself I don't even bother what the definition is, I just enter and take my chances. And as I have said often before I don't care what others do, you write what YOU want to write.

I personally think this whole thing has been a great pity, I was thinking about it while up the bush this time and penned this little poem about it.

WHAT A PITY
I find it kind of sad you know; about that great debate,
when words expressed at that time were a breath away from hate.
If only we could wind back time, before this all begun,
for no one cared what others did before this harm was done.

While some may say this cleared the air, I have to disagree,
for something has been changed you know, from how it used to be.
I sense a kind of nervousness that rolls from pens of some,
maybe a feeling of unease, with thoughts of what been done.

The more we justify our views the more the chasm grows,
there’ll be no winners here my friends as ev’rybody knows.
For harms been done make no mistake although some may deny;
a subtle change has taken place; I can but wonder why.

Terry