Can bush poetry survive?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Terry

Re: A Reponse From Valerie Read

Post by Terry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 am

I had said I had made my last comment on this so i will make this short.

No Glenny I was so dissolutioned by then that I had stopped reading the posts and Knowing you, I knew yours would be a reasoned reply.

Stephen I feel the same way and I'm now pondering my own participation. I have said on several occasions that I don't care what people write or what style they adopt. By all means make your point, that's what the Forums for, but no matter how sure we are that our point of view is right, we shouldn't resort to ridicule those we don't agree with.

Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Glenny Palmer wrote:At times, I have an inherent capacity to convey the opposite of what I mean
So when you tell croc " rack off hairy legs " you really mean " come here you gorgeous hunk " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 am

Goodness me Neville. I thought you of all people would know that crocs don't have hairy anythings. tch tch. But you are correct, & I think you have provided me with an epiphany! He's a black & white bloke, & I've been communicating in technicolour. :?
Cheeers
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 am

Dear Terry,
Please don't stay so despondent. We do not want to lose you. Whenever anything 'contentious' arises on here we are a bit like a huge committee....& you know what committees are like! eg. This bloke said to me...''I don't believe in God.'' & I said, ''Goodness. Why not?'' He replied, ''Well, with the mess everything is in down here, it's just gotta be run by a committe 'up there.'

I'm not making light of the issue, as I expect you were hoping that posting Val's letter for her would have settled it, & it seems that it has not, so you would naturally be disappointed. What I have found during the years of my 'apprenticeship' is that I had to 'toughen up' in some situations (that frankly floored me at the time) & just relegate it to the 'experience' folder...& stand firm in my own esteem, & just get on with it.

Chin up old mate....and you too Stephen. We would be the worse for losing either of you.
:D Ok ?

Sincerely
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:32 am

What the 'Masters' did was tell stories in rhyme and metre, and the stories they wrote about were their experiences, hopes and desires OF THEIR TIME. They also engaged in banter, and I don't doubt that some harsh words may have been exchanged between them on occasion (I don't think they stopped writing as a result).

Today's Australian society is a tad more complex than the Australia of Lawson, Paterson and C.J. Finding a simple singular definition for 'Bush Poetry' is no less challenging than understanding what should fall under the umbrella of 'general poetry'. Although I think the latter would refer more to slam and free verse.

I don't think it's necessary to invalidate another's works to make a point.
Milton Taylor's piece "Down Memory Lane" is, a son of Australia, writing about another Son of Australia (his father) and his deteriorating condition. No less than David Campbell's piece, and both fit the ABPA definition. Both are valid 'Bush' Poetry.

Ellis Campbell's wonderful Firebug piece that won the Blackened Billy a few years ago, could very easily refer to the Californian 'brush' fire experience. They have fires over there too. They also have fathers who deteriorate in health, and sons who love them.

I think it's disappointing that some feel the need to throw in their membership, for whatever reason.

Difference of opinion is exactly that - difference of opinion!!

How we treat each-other through our many differences is determined by our maturity.

Please, let us continue to have impassioned debate, but let us also maintain our reason and perspective.

Teddy-bears and Rainbows ... :D

Manfred.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Good advice Mannie - and in honesty I haven't taken as offensive anything written here. Just diverse opinions as we always have at times

Curious now as to why Neville thinks croc has got hairy legs???? PM me Neville :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: don't want to embarass the scaly one. :o :shock:

Teddy bears and rainbows – lots of sugar and spice,
a dash of something salty and chocolate would be nice.
Tim tams are delicious, so some say, wallaby stew
but mix them all together and you’d have a powerful brew.

A little bit of everything here caters to each taste.
We try all , nothing is spurned here for that would be a waste
and though our thoughts are different and our tastes are quite diverse
the one thing that unites us all ……. we CAN write rhyming verse.

Keep smiling everyone - just blow a little smoke - we don't want bushfires ;)
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Re: Can bush poetry survive?

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

I've just merged, Stephen's "What is 'bush'?" and Terry's "A Reponse From Valerie Read" into David's "Can bush poetry survive?" ... you are able to see the respective posts by their title in the Subject.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I was just being stupid Maureen. An idle brain at the moment. ;) :roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Terry I have great respect for your poetry, and your opinions are always a considered addition to the forum discussion. I for one would miss you if you leave us. I'm hoping you decide to stay!
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

G/day Robyn,
Thanks for your kind words,
I'm sure I will still be around the place from time to time, though I head of bush in a few days.

By the way I wasn't getting upset with anyone in particular, I was just a bit disappointed that all, but enough of that it's time to move on now.

Cheers Terry