Can bush poetry survive?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Zondrae

Re: A Reponse From Valerie Read

Post by Zondrae » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 am

My bit,

I can understand what Val is saying but not many of us have had true experience of living in the bush. Also, exactly what should be considered 'the bush'? I am sure that people living in towns some distance from the capital cities may be insulted if we said they are bushies. Must we limit our subject material to cattle and horses and fire and drought? I am fortunate to have roughed it and lived in places where the closest neighbour was miles away and there was no electricity or town water, so I have some real life experience to draw from, but what of those talented writers who haven't had this chance. Must they only write of things second or third hand.

As I have said before, when I first began writing I didn't know how to classify my poetry. I was delighted
when I found the ABPA so please don't confuse me now by telling me I am not a bush poet.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Everybody,

While I don’t really care what people write I can understand how some people; particularly those who were at the forefront of making Bush Poetry the undoubted success it is today; being concerned and feeling that Bush poetry is now under siege from people wanting to (in their view) change the concept of what Bush poetry used to be.

Unfortunately in my view sometimes people on both sides of this debate get a bit carried away, often so passionate about their argument they don’t realize that their words may unintentionally offend or hurt People, most likely I fancy without even realizing it. And this applies as I said to both sides of this debate, so let’s not get to be too sanctimonious about this. I think the measured response of the replies so far although not supporting Valerie, used the sort of conciliatory language we all should be aiming for.

There is one point Valerie makes that takes a bit of arguing about and that is, it’s the name Bush Poetry that attracts the public, call it anything else and I doubt the audiences would be any bigger than what’s left of the Queensland Labour Party. Valerie also went on to say that people while they will listen to whatever is dished up really come to hear traditional Bush Poetry and when talking of the general public, I suspect she’s right.

Terry

manfredvijars

Re: Can bush poetry survive?

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:56 am

I do apologise for not responding sooner - the weekend's been pretty full on.

NO David, not hostile at all, towards you or anyone else. I was just venting some of my many frustrations.

The overwhelming impression I got from reading the posts was that Bush Poetry is doomed or at least, on the way out. In fact I believe that we are far, far from it. What we need to recognise, and accept, is - difference and choices.

The same debate continues to rage within the Country Music circles about 'traditional' and 'modern'. Add to the mix Rap and Hip-hop and arms fly up in anguish and the wailing reaches the heavens with the cry of "Oh where has our 'real' music gone?". The reality of all that is, Rap and hip-hip are a popular worldwide phenomenon. 'Slam poetry (performing 'free' verse) is also a popular phenomenon.

The Country music mob have the "College of Country Music", where they teach talented young aspirants the 'business'. The result is that there is some exciting music around by younger people. This is a good thing because I can only stand so much 'Slim Dusty' and I do like my Country Music.

The Folk music mob - far from being irrelevant, are strong and engaging. Go to any Folk Festival around the country and you will find a fun, family-friendly mob who know how to have a great time - and the MUSICIANS, those incredible musicians - most talented group of individuals one is EVER likely to come across. I believe they remain strong by continually honing their craft and engaging each-other, and the wider public, by their fantastic festivals and 'gatherings'. I ALWAYS come away uplifted from a Folk Festival.

And our mob, the Bush Poets, we are a very passionate people. Telling stories in rhyme and metre is our culture. In the process we look after our history, and make some (city AND bush). We don't have a 'college' for bush poetry so, many dedicated members go out to the schools to share our culture, craft and passion to the youth. That includes you too David, so I really meant no disrespect.

The poets who have gone out to schools in outback Queensland, have done so over many years, with the results I posted earlier. When I wander around Tamworth at festival time, I ALWAYS hear comments along the lines of " ... yes, the music is great but have you heard the Bush Poets???" Our Western siblings must be doing something right as well, with their fantastic roll-ups at Boyup Brook earlier this year.

We are fortunate in having, and utilising, enabling technology. We can engage each-other almost instantaneously from anywhere around the country through our ABPA forum and VOIP programs such as Skype. We have our festivals where we come together and hone our performing AND writing skills. But we don't quite engage the wider public as yet!

I believe that the format of our festivals need to be changed, with a lesser emphasis on "The Prize". The youth need to be engaged at a number of different levels.

I have some thoughts but not necessarily the answers, so PLEASE let this debate continue.

PS. I realy, realy, realy enjoy a robust debate. Invariably it's NOT about 'being' right but about 'doing' right. PLEASE, don't be afraid to say what's on your mind, particularly in relation to our craft. We are self-regulating on this forum (no PC here), so if myself or anyone else appears to be crossing the Line, a simple PM for clarification is usually sufficient.
We are Mates after all ...

william williams

Post by william williams » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

Australians

Australians, what a multi cultural group of people we are. Our modern history started in the 17th century so our history is short, so what.

Our life then was very basic and our history was our own, along with the Aboriginals Dreamtime.
Both histories had both good times, and bad with in them.

It is a colourful history in many stories and poems that evolved, were many and varied, some with a rural atmosphere and some about the city way of life.

And that, is just what poems and short yarns are all about. AWAY OF LIFE?

If we are not careful the future generations will lose, or forget that way of life and it will disappear almost forever to be taken over by modern styles of poetry and stories of fantasy.

We are Australian Bush Poets and storytellers, so let us not forget that when we write next time write about Australia bush or towns.

Our great poets wrote about the bush telling you city people about it. So, why should we not carry on the tradition that they started

bill williams

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am

'Bush poetry' is a bit of a double-edged sword, Terry. I was talking to a friend about Poets' Breakfasts yesterday, with a view to him coming along and checking them out. He made the comment, "I suppose you get three performances of 'The Man From Snowy River'"? He most definitely did not see that as a positive. It may well turn away as many as it attracts. Of course, the old problem is finding a better term.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 am

G/day Stephen,
I agree about the two edged sword, We have an Australian day Bush poetry recital in Perth that is attended by a few hundred people mostly from the general public. A couple of years ago several elderly people got up and left because they didn't like poetry what they thought was a bit off colour, as one old lady told me she had come hoping to hear more of the old poetry of Lawson, & Co.
Interestingly the particular poem that was the last straw (her words) was about breast feeding. it was from memory laced with a bit of innuendo, but seemed harmless enough to me. The thing was those who left wanted more of the traditional poetry and little or none of our more modern variety - guess it's hard to please everybody.

Cheers

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09 pm

"G'day" Zondrae, Manfred, Bill and Marty.

It begins to seem as though many of us took the decision, best part of some time ago, to not only follow our hearts but also recognise a need to 'progress'.

Most of my individual writings are preceded by - Modern Rhymes for Aussie Times - even though initially I believed Bush Poetry was my thing. Because I like many ABPA members were flavoured by Banjo and his ilk.

Therefore, my Jim's Jottings are a collection of experiences within Australia and only Aus.

"Kindest regards"
Jim.

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 pm

VERY good - 'sayin'

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:53 pm

G/day Marty,
Speaking for myself, that pretty well sums up What I write about, most of it, (But by no means all of it) is what undoubtedly could be called BUSHY bush poetry, and nearly always about the present, or at least things I've seen or done in my own lifetime.

This is where I think a lot of people miss the point about Bush Poetry, NO ONE is saying you have to write about the past regardless of what style you use. The past has been told already by those who lived back then. We live in just as exiting times, there are still wonderful things to see and do and to write about. More and more people are stretching their wings and discovering the great beauty of this country.
Our aim should be not to replace our wonderful poetry from the past but to add to it; to keep the flame burning for future generations.
But always remember the old masters poetry will continue to stand out as a beacon and hopefully help to draw people in so that they may come to also like what we write today.

Terry

william williams

Post by william williams » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks Marty, yup what you say is true the past is quickly retreating and the future is galloping on faster than we realize.

I was fortunate to see and hear about the past before it got too far into the past. Paterson, Lawson, and Co where there in those times, and were gifted in seeing things about them and recording them. We in turn will hopefully will do the same.

We never dreamed that man would walk on the moon, nor would a picture taken 45 miles up in space show cars driving around streets. Nor a heart being replaced in a young girl opps beg your pardon, who is now a young woman.

Time has moved so fast, in fact, it is to fast for us to keep abreast with so please let us write about the bush and how it was before it too departs like the rest of our history. Present times are being written every day by a lot different of people.

So let us capture the present day bush and it’s people in words before it and the people leave for ever.

Bill Williams