Critiqueing Other's Works

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
Neville Briggs

Re: Australian Written Championships

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:44 pm

I can't see anywhere in Marty's post that he said " if you can get away with it, it's OK "

I think Marty was giving hypothetical examples to illustrate a point, not setting out his ethics.

Something to think about re competitions :

The French Impressionist painters of the 1800s were sneered at and rejected by the established art competitions of their day. Painters who were accepted by the competitions received medals, prizes and honours. To-day the paintings of the honoured winners ( whose names are virtually unknown ) are stored in the basements of art galleries, the Impressionists are celebrated as great masters of art and their works have the premier positions in the gallery displays.

I must meditate on that.
I'm sure there's a lesson in that.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:53 pm

Could be worse Marty I could help you and then it would be a real stuff up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone elses opinions,
their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

Oscar Wilde (who else!)

Terry

Re: Critiqueing Other's Works

Post by Terry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Go on Marty,
You have been striving to improve your writing and doing a pretty job of it as well.

If it's any encouragement to you the fog surrounding the rules clears a bit after awhile,
Not completely mind you.

Terry

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:30 pm

G/day Marty,
You may well find that just writing for the enjoyment of it without worrying too much about comps is not a bad way to go.

Mind you whatever way you choose you may as well try and learn as much as you can along the way, it does give you a bit of personal satisfaction if you sense that your writing's improving.

Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I agree with Manfred, Kym and Terry. I have a couple of trusted people that I run my work past and I do the same for others. You become over familiar with your own writing (it doesn't have to be a poem) that you don't see the obvious sometimes.

I never ask someone to "fix" something for me - I want to learn to do that myself but there is nothing wrong with getting a general idea of what may be wrong or work better - especially if you are new at it. I might change a word here and there after running it past said trusted persons but I am very, very relucant to change say a line because I then don't consider it my work - and that's whether I enter it in anything or not - it's just me wanting to write my own stuff. Not that long ago I was given a much much better line than the one I had - but I could not bring myself to use it - it wasn't something I had thought of - but, it gave me an idea to think of something else that was mine. I was ok with that.

Marty, I believe Oscar was trying to say we are influenced by all around us.... just as Manfred said.

Heather :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Marty said:
I have seen an imporvement in my writing over the time I have been associated with the ABPA and in particular the forum ,
Marty, you have been influenced - and not just by the drink! :lol:

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Just got to do something about the spelling now Marty. I can hear that you have been drinking Marty! :lol:

If learning isn't influenced then I don't know what is.... :roll: sshhhhhh

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I can hear that you have been drinking Marty!

So what have you been going to those Expo's with the crystal balls again Heather

You Libra's think you know everything. ;) ;)

Robert Alan Micheal Pacey
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Heather has said what I was trying to say (badly by the look of it :oops: ), you put it so much better Heather. :D Pointing out where there might be a glitch and even explaining why that doesn't work is fine, but actually re-writing that line or verse feels wrong to me. That's the way judges do it when they critique your entry. They point out mistakes but don't actually re-write it for you. And I say it again, it doesn't matter in any other place but a competition. In my mind that's what a competition is. It's a bit like a school exam in my mind (yeah, I know I have a funny mind) and you wouldn't run your exam assignments past another person. Well you might, but heaven help you if you get caught. :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's just the way I feel about it. For everyone else, whatever floats your boat. It's just an opinion, everybody's got one. I'm being good, I left out the obvious line.