Are there limits to metre and rhyme?

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
David Judge

Re: Are there limits to metre and rhyme?

Post by David Judge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Thanks for your comments Shelley. Accordingly, I guess the 'wow' factor is also subjective.Regards David

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi David

Well, from the looks of it, you are having no problems at all catching the eyes of judges in the written competitions. Congratulations on your successes.

For those who would like to read David's winning humorous poem "The Outback Sailor", here is the link on the ABPA poetry page: https://www.abpa.org.au/Files/award-poe ... Judge.html

I really enjoyed it and had a good giggle!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

David Judge

Post by David Judge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks Shelley. I enjoy the challenge, although with your extraordinary successes and those of your multi talented contemporaries, it is never easy. The slightest acknowledgement of a poem is an encouragement to improve, to try something new and to be an active part of a vibrant and diverse community of Australian story tellers. We can all be thankful that the range of written and performance competitions, and the people who organize them and judge them, provide us with a unique means of artistic expression.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:34 am

David, I couldn't agree more about the value of written competitions. It is really difficult for bush poetry writers to get exposure. Unless you have some high profile person performing your poetry, it is a sad fact that most people will not read or hear it.

Written competitions are wonderful because they give us the chance to be recognised and to expand our work to a wider audience, especially if the competition has high public interest. But even the small competitions are valuable, and well worth supporting.

As for prize-winning success - it is very tenuous. Like all of us, I enter a lot of competitions where I am unsuccessful. I once did a percentage calculation of entries versus shortlisting and it was less than 10% success for competitions entered. First prizes were of course, a much lower percentage. When people see you win one or two prizes in a year, they conclude that you are winning everything. The reality is quite different. That is actually one of the appealing challenges for me - that our craft is so subjective and individual. What one person (or judge) dismisses, another may acclaim.

Best of all, it gives us creative pleasure. Onward and upward!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

David Judge

Post by David Judge » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:04 am

A very interesting conversation on Zoom yesterday, entertainingly and forcefully chaired by Janine Keating. Many relevant and serious topics were discussed in good humour, including line limits and submission deadline extensions for written poetry competitions. The discussion again acknowledged the incredible work done by competition organisers, judges,promoters and competitors, without whom our artistic endeavours may not see the light of day. With recent limited opportunities to network, either face to face or otherwise, it was great to be part of an organised, impromptu chat about the many aspects and issues which seem common to all of us. I look forward to more of the same with those who have been so inspirational for so long.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:09 pm

Hear, hear, David!

As another one who was privileged to join into this experimental and inaugural poetry discussion, I agree - let's definitely do it more often, and include others who would be interested in networking via Zoom.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines